[uf-new] hSet survey findings and future direction

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Wed May 30 11:03:20 PDT 2007

Here are the current findings based on the hSet survey and input from
the list. These findings impact how we approach/solve the grouping
problem. Here's what we know so far:

57% think the grouping problem should be solved.
14% do not believe there is a grouping problem.

Sparse and ordered grouping were the two most important grouping
sub-problems according to the survey respondents.

29% thought that grouping should be solved on a
    Microformat-by-Microformat basis.
56% thought that grouping should be solved in a generic way.

50% favored the option #3 solution.
50% favored the option #7 solution.

In general, most respondents are convinced that there is a grouping
problem that needs to be solved in a generic way.

Here is a link to the grouping-brainstorming page:

http://microformats.org/wiki/grouping-brainstorming

It seems that the dot-notation class name approach (option #3) is
contested because of the dots. What if we use ':' instead of dots -
colon-notation? Names would look like this - hset:group:subgroup

What if we retracted Option #3 as a possible solution? Is there anybody
that would strongly oppose Option #7 at that point? I can't say that I
strongly oppose #7 as it only has a couple of small downsides compared
with Option #3.

Is there anybody against adopting option #7 as the grouping problem
solution?