[uf-new] How many examples is enough (was: hSet survey findings and future direction)

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Wed May 30 19:07:09 PDT 2007

Colin Barrett wrote:
>> "only 7 people that filled out the survey" wow so clearly not many
>> people think that grouping is a problem? but lets press on anyway ...
>
> I really agree with this -- I don't particularly think grouping is a
> huge problem here, and I don't think tackling this "up front" without a
> whole ton of prior art is a good idea.

How much prior art do we need to prove that there is a problem here? We
already have 68 examples. I'd like to know how much a "whole ton"
amounts to...

If we were to look at the number of examples listed for hResume we would
find a grand total of 7... rel-directory - 4 examples, total. Here's a
table of the current drafts vs. number of examples:

Microformat Draft   Examples
-----------------   --------
rel-directory[1]        4
hResume[2]              7
hReview[3]             19
hCard[4]               30
hSet[5]                68
hAudio[6]              94

So, where's the bar? It seems that people like to change it when the
argument isn't going their way.

You have a good proposal Colin - drop it and move on. I've lost all
interest in trying to solve this problem... if somebody else would like
to pick it up and move it forward, that would be great.

-- manu

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/directory-inclusion-examples
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/resume-examples
[3] http://microformats.org/wiki/review-examples