[uf-new] [hAudio] fn _or_ album

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Mon Nov 5 07:33:07 PST 2007

Julian Stahnke wrote:
>> No misunderstandings, and easy to understand. I don't understand what
>> benefits a publisher has using "fn album" over simply just "album"
>> Microformats are supposed to use "simple conventions" and "use brief,
>> descriptive class names", sorry about the quotes I am just emphasising
>> my Issue.
>
> Wouldn’t that be like trying to use just ‘org’ in an hcard to say that
> something is an organisation?

Doing this is perfectly OK to do in the VCARD format, AFAIK. It would be
up to the application to understand that since no other fields are
present, the displayable name should be the same value as ORG and the
VCARD is about an ORG.

> If we model this aspect of haudio after vcard, shouldn’t it behave the same?

Jeez, this issue just won't die, will it :)

How about this proposal: It takes everybody's input into account in this
thread and follows the current hCard specification exactly.

PROPOSAL:

FN is required for hAudio. It is used to identify the name of the audio
recording.

ALBUM is optional. It is used to identify the name of the album that the
audio recording belongs to.

If both FN and ALBUM are present and the same, the application MUST
deduce that the recording being discussed is an audio album.

ALBUM SHOULD NOT exist unless FN is specified.