[uf-new] Currency brainstorming

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Oct 5 07:18:26 PDT 2007

On Fri, October 5, 2007 14:52, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Andy Mabbett wrote:

>> a new "money" microformat straw-man

>> <http://microformats.org/wiki/currency-brainstorming#Straw_man>

> Andy, I really like the new hmoney proposal.

Thank you.

> There is only one issue that I can see:
>
> The example uses the following markup:

> Take the example of Macedonian Dollars
> (MKD) and the Kyat (MMK). If we wanted to mark up 50 million Macedonian
> Dollars, we would do the following:

> <abbr class="currency" title="95MMKD">95 million</abbr>

> However, is this 95 MMK? or is it 95 million MKD?

It's 95 million MKD; the last three characters must be the currency;
because "95 MMK D" isn't valid.

> You could make the
> parser a bit smarter and attempt to divine what the publisher meant, but
> why are we allowing this markup in the first place?

Because people publish amounts like "10USD" in the wild
<http://tinyurl.com/39ztv7>.

> I would also argue that we shouldn't even have K, M, B, or T - the full
> number should be used.

That's a reasonable suggestion - please add it to the "issues" section of
the above wiki page.

--
Andy Mabbett
** via webmail **