[uf-new] Measurement brainstorming

Chris Newell chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 09:28:21 PDT 2007

Andy,
At 16:47 05/10/2007, you wrote:
>I have put up Straw Man 2 on the
>wiki in an attempt to outline basic markup that hmeasure could support:
>
>http://microformats.org/wiki/measure-brainstorming#Straw_man_2
>
>The Strawman includes the following new concepts:
>
>- The proposal only uses abbr to avoid the "but the parsers are going to
>  be so complicated!" argument. Let's focus on what we can represent
>  using <abbr> - what we can support in <span> will naturally come out
>  of that discussion.
>- This is a first cut and is missing things like measurements for
>  "cups", "feet", etc.
>- SI-prefixes should be used when applicable.
>- It attempts to simplify and focus the discussion on <abbr>

Looks good.

We could also reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_derived_unit and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-SI_units_accepted_for_use_with_SI which expand the number of units in a controlled way.

Even so, these references don't provide a suitable unit for bit-rate so I'd like to add "bit" as a supported unit, for use with the other entities you've defined e.g. "kbit/s".

Chris