[uf-new] hAudio/table incompatibility

Julian Stahnke julian at julianstahnke.com
Sat Oct 6 11:24:26 PDT 2007

> I'm guessing that you don't like the fact that you must define both
> TRACK and HAUDIO?
>
> The reason that we're doing this is because we might want to re-use
> TRACK (or whatever we end up calling it) in hVideo.
>
> Content has sections:
>
> Albums have Tracks
> Television Series have Episodes
> DVDs have Chapters
> Books have Chapters
>
> We could end up re-using TRACK to describe DVDs like so:

> If we don't specify hvideo for the video track and haudio for the
> audio
> track, how would the parser determine the difference? We would have
> ambiguity, which is one of the reasons all of the other
> Microformats do
> this as well.
>
> If you want to push your proposal above, you will have to make the
> following arguments:
>
> 1. Why Ambiguity is not an issue for TRACK.
> 2. Why we should introduce a new property called TRACK-TITLE.
> 3. Why we should require CONTRIBUTOR to be marked up via a VCARD.

About tracks inside hAudio/hVideo: What about assuming that the track
has the same media type as its parent element unless declared otherwise?

That way, the following—mentioned before—would thus be possible:

What does ‘track’ mean in the context of the hVideo format, though? I
would assume, from my limited forays into the world of video editing
and from DVDs I own, that there can be multiple audio tracks that run
in parallel. You can then choose one (‘English’, for example) or even
two which then run in parallel (‘English’ and ‘Director’s comments’
on a DVD).

The usage of ‘track’ specifically in hAudio (and rightfully so) is a
sequential one, though. One track comes after another. So while it
shares the same name, it’s (to my mind) an entirely different concept
than a track found on a CD.

I’m not saying that one shouldn’t use the name track for hVideo—by no
means, it seems to be quite valid. But I think it’s dangerous to
define ‘track’ _across_ the boundaries of it’s definition in the
container it’s used in. Maybe it should not have a definition by its
own but only in context with the microformat it is used in. (Same as,
for example, ‘boot’—it can either be something you wear on your foot
or a part of a car.)

Then again, that might be quite confusing. I’m very confused already,
for you could also map ‘track’ in hVideo to what commonly is referred
to as a ‘chapter’ on a DVD. Which would be against its common usage
in everyday language (I think). Maybe I missed a bit that would shed
some light on this, but I think this issue needs some clarification.

For the record: I’m totally for using ‘track’ in hAudio, I’m just
wary of trying to define it in a way that makes it be exactly the
same in hVideo as well.