[uf-new] Closing several hAudio issues

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 16:15:37 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 11:58 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
> There are several hAudio issues that seem to have been resolved in the
> past several weeks that should be marked as "Resolved".
>
> PROPOSAL: We close the following issues as each problem seems to have
>           been addressed.
>
> hAudio ISSUE #1: image-summary Property is redundant
>  - PHOTO has been used to replace image-summary in the latest proposal,
>    reusing a previous Microformat property, which is a Good Thing(tm).
>  - http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Photo
>
> hAudio ISSUE #3:  published-date Property is redundant
>  - PUBLISHED has been used to replace published-date in the latest
>    proposal, reusing a previous Microformat property, which is a Good
>    Thing (tm).
>  -http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-issues#published-date_Property
>
> hAudio ISSUE #6: Summary Property is Missing
>  - DESCRIPTION has been added to the latest proposal.
>  - http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Description
>
> hAudio ISSUE #7: Track Number is Missing
>  - POSITION has been added to the hAudio proposal, thus resolving this
>    issue.
>  - http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Position
>
> hAudio ISSUE #8: hAlbum is redundant
>  - We now have the ALBUM-TITLE and TRACK elements in hAudio, there is no
>    longer a need for hAlbum.
>  - http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Schema
>
> hAudio ISSUE #12: CONTRIBUTOR and TRACK are not publisher friendly
>  - Short forms for CONTRIBUTOR and TRACK are proposed in the newest
>    proposal and doesn't seem to cause any parsing problems or
>    compatibility issues with other Microformats.
>  - http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Contributor
>  - http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Track
>
> If there are no objections, I would like to mark each as a "Resolved Issue"

No Objections

although I do have concerns with the track definition
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Track

A container for another hAudio item. Used in conjunction with
album-title.

      * The element is identified by the class name track.
      * hAudio MAY have one or more tracks, but MUST have album-title
        defined. If album-title is not defined, track cannot be defined.
      * The element MUST be processed opaquely. No sub-elements should
        be read from any hAudio contained in a track element.
      * The contents of the element MAY be plain-text or marked up using
        hAudio.

In Particular

"hAudio MAY have one or more tracks, but MUST have album-title defined.
If album-title is not defined, track cannot be defined"

?

What Happens when I want to mark up a single track from an Album  that
may be part of a collection, best of, or compilation?

I would Like to mark my page up like this:

            <abbr class="duration" title="P191T">3:18</abbr>
	    taken from the <span class="album-title">London Calling</span> album
            By <span class="contributor">The Clash</span>
           <abbr class="duration" title="P268T">4:46</abbr>
	   taken from the <span class="album-title">Best Before 1984</span> album
	   By <span class="contributor">Crass</span>

Seems to make sense but according to the Proposal this Is Invalid hAudio

Maybe like this then?

            <abbr class="duration" title="P191T">3:18</abbr>
	    taken from the <span class="album-title">London Calling</span> album
            By <span class="contributor">The Clash</span>

           <abbr class="duration" title="P268T">4:46</abbr>
	   taken from the <span class="album-title">Best Before 1984</span> album
	   By <span class="contributor">Crass</span>

Seems like valid hAudio but Is not because the contents of a hAudio
track must either be marked up as text or as hAudio

            <abbr class="duration" title="P191T">3:18</abbr>
	    taken from the <span class="album-title">London Calling</span>
album
            By <span class="contributor">The Clash</span>

           <abbr class="duration" title="P268T">4:46</abbr>
	   taken from the <span class="album-title">Best Before 1984</span>
album
	   By <span class="contributor">Crass</span>

This Is  Valid hAudio my concerns are Do we really need to reiterate
haudio In the track class It seems confusing that hAudio Is both a
parent and a child class. used in the above context haudio has the same
meaning as track?

I think the proposition should simply say

      * "hAudio MAY have zero or more tracks"
      * "Track titles MAY be defined by using the class name
        *audio-title* it is recommended that a hAudio track SHOULD have
        an audio-title" *

This would enable Greater flexibility when publishing hAudio.

Thanks

Martin