[uf-new] Re: I propose a new microformat for poems.

paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz
Wed Oct 10 03:48:52 PDT 2007

From: Scott Reynen <scott at makedatamakesense.com>
> Clearly identifying those "other things" would probably help.  What
> exactly is the problem we're trying to solve here?

When the content is in a pre tag, there can be issues with word-wrapping, or not wrapping as the case may be.

The purpose of the pre tag is to say that the spacing is predefined, within the content of the pre element itself.
When there is no special spacing, which is the case for a majority of poetry, the use of the pre tag becomes redundant.

Using linebreak tags or other structures provide additional structural information about the content that isn't available with pre tags.

And, we should be able to apply class names to whatever code structure we are currently using for poetry, rather than restricting everyone to using a certain element.

These are the issues I have with using the pre tag to markup all poetry.

--
Paul Wilkins