[uf-new] item property (was: hAudio: audio-title/album-title vs. recording/album)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Oct 14 12:10:03 PDT 2007

In message <8FC3583C-AC10-422A-9407-0D202A6BD268 at code404.com>, Justin
Maxwell <soc at code404.com> writes

>"Track" is familiar and common.

>However, it's nothing more than a distortion of  meaning through
>popular usage -- "tracks" in a vinyl record (similar  to the use of
>"patch" for electronic musical instrumentation stemming  from the days
>of patch cables).  The CD industry picked up this term  as well as it
>replies to physical sectors on the disc itself.   However, there is no
>"track" in data and we should eliminate an  unnecessary literal
>abstraction (one that will eventually require  explanation) by calling
>it as such.

What do you mean by "there is no 'track' in data"?

I thought we created microformats by looking at evidence, not
considering personal opinions and supposition about what may be
understood at dome unknown point in the future.

If people refer to a songs or other recording as a "track" - as the
evidence [1] shows they do - then we should use that.

[1] -   <http://tinyurl.com/yvekd2>
        <http://tinyurl.com/ywg8qu>
        <http://tinyurl.com/2kq96z>

--