[uf-new] hAudio proposal: ITEM/TRACK

paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz
Mon Oct 15 12:08:30 PDT 2007

From: Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com>
> That is a cut-and-paste problem (exacerbated by everybody else
> cutting-and-pasting) and a mis-understanding of how ISO-8601 works,
> thanks for the correction, Paul. The corrected value should be:
>
> title="PT268S"
>
> OR
>
> title="PT4M46S"
>
> That field must follow the ISO-8601 standard.

Pardon me for asking again, but why is PT268S being used for 4:46 ?
4 minutes and 46 seconds is not 268 seconds. It's 286 seconds.

This is a gross example of why using different standards (only seconds to represent minutes and seconds) is a bad idea. It's much harder to spot when mistakes have occurred. I think that I've read about this issue somewhere before.

I don't know about you, but I haven't seen many tracks shown in just seconds. If the title is just seconds while time is displayed as minutes and seconds, that makes it a lot easier for errors to creep in.

My suggestion is we don't cross the streams. The title value should match as closely as possible the displayed value, so that any mistakes become obvious.

Wrong:
<abbr title="PT4M36S">286 seconds</abbr>
Right:
<abbr title="PT286S">286 seconds</abbr>

Wrong:
<abbr title="PT266S">4:46</abbr>

Right:
<abbr title="PT4M46S">4:46</abbr>

There is a deliberate problem with the wrong examples. See if you can find them and consider why mistakes a more easily hidden.

--
Paul Wilkins