[uf-new] hAudio ISSUE #8: hAlbum is redundant

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Thu Sep 13 20:56:11 PDT 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> so why all the votes for adding these class names ?
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-issues#Collection_Names

Looks like I was getting ahead of myself :) - I have removed my votes
for CHART and PLAYLIST. I still support ALBUM, PODCAST and TRACK, though.

>  http://microformats.org/wiki/item-brainstorming

We can't use item :(, it is limited to using a small set of class names
that have almost nothing in common with hAudio [1]:

"""
As a microformat, this is very much analogous to hCard and we shall
reuse all applicable attributes:
    * fn - the name of an item
    * url - the web address of an item
    * photo - a photo of an item
    * adr - the address of an item (for example, a house)
    * geo - likewise
"""

> haudio
>   haudio-title
> item
>   media-title

Let's look at an example using your proposal:

...listening to May the Rain found on Paper Tigers by...

With the album-keyword-based proposal, here's the markup:

...listening to
by...

with the haudio-title-based proposal, here's how we would do that:

...listening to
   found on
by...

The haudio-title-based proposal has the following issues compared to the
 album-keyword-based proposal:

- It is more verbose, requiring publishers to write more HTML.
- It requires hAudio nesting to mark up a simple song and album example.
- You cannot differentiate an album from a podcast.

What about using SECTION instead of TRACK? It could be used in hVideo
and hAudio. SECTION makes sense for albums, podcasts, clips, television,
movies... but doesn't really work for charts or playlists.

-- manu

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/item-brainstorming#Notes