[uf-new] hAudio Issue D4: 2008-01-10 rel-enclosure does not allowforlinks to streaming files

Tantek Celik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 20 08:39:38 PDT 2008

This is an excellent follow-up Toby - perhaps you can capture your implementation experience on the wiki on a page like "streaming-implementations".

Toby wrote:
>However, the percentage of links that actually *include* a 'type'
attribute is woefully small. Performing HTTP HEAD requests for each
file would be too slow.

While I'm not claiming that you are using this as an argument for a new format/value, I will point out that similar forms of argument have been made in the past (and in other forums) for creating new things.

The brief point to keep in mind:
If existing content publishers are not making use of an *existing* format feature as they should, why would anyone think that such publishers would make any more use of a *new* format feature?

And in a proactive way: rather than inventing a new feature for which there is already an existing feature (which may or may not be widely adopted), provide better documentation and how-tos (perhaps with benefits) for how to use that existing feature - as you have recommended in your email.

Your solution is good. In addition, we may wish to consider making use of the "type" attribute on a rel="enclosure" links in hAudio a SHOULD to communicate the importance of doing so.

Tantek