[uf-new] hAudio Issue D4: 2008-01-10 rel-enclosure does not allow forlinks to streaming files

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 09:03:11 PDT 2008

Hello Toby

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Tantek wrote:
>> Toby wrote:
>
>> differentiating between download and streaming URLs
>> > in the case where both are available.
>>
>> That distinction is already made via different MIME types on the
>> enclosure, reflected in the type attribute (on a or link tags). No
>> need to invent something new.
>
> I've written an hAudio -> M3U converter (M3U is a common playlist
> format supported by several media players including Winamp, XMMS and
> iTunes) and do indeed use the 'type' attribute to differentiate
> between playable downloads (e.g. MP3s, OGGs, etc) and downloads which
> are not directly playable (e.g. BitTorrent files, ZIP files, etc).
> This distinction needs to be made in order to avoid placing
> non-playable files into the playlist.
>
> However, the percentage of links that actually *include* a 'type'
> attribute is woefully small. Performing HTTP HEAD requests for each
> file would be too slow.
>
> One solution of course might be for hAudio to strongly encourage the
> 'type' attribute to be set on any rel=enclosure links. It would help
> if all the examples of the Wiki included the attribute, and a list of
> commonly used MIME types could be provided to help newcomers. (Some
> are not immediately obvious - e.g. application/ogg instead of audio/ogg.)

The haudio proposal does say

"The type of the file /MAY/ be specified by using the |type| specifier
for a URI."

http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio#Full_Download_.28Enclosure.29

Maybe this can be changed to:

"The type of the file SHOULD be specified by using the type specifier
for a URI."

Maybe may encorage more haudio publishers to use the type="" specifier,

Its  also good to note that once haudio eventually becomes more stable
we can then start adding extra pages such as hAudio Parsing and hAudio
Authoring.

Thanks

Martin Mcevoy