[uf-new] hAudio FN or Title

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 1 08:58:34 PST 2008

On 1/31/08 1:30 PM, "Brian Suda" <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/1/31, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com>:
>> The thought about porting the Dublin Core names over to Microformats was
>> mentioned on the uf-discuss list. Having a Dublin Core Microformat, may
>> be a solution that works for everybody.
>
> --- we just have to be careful of creating a solution to a non-issue.
> Microformats model established publishing practices and solve simple
> problems.
>
>> The main disagreement seemed to be in DC's choice of class names...

That's only one problem with DC.

The other problem is that DC itself is more theoretical rather than based on
any actual content publishing research/behaviors.

>> This approach has two benefits:
>>
>> * It uses Microformat-like names.
>
> --- it might be microformat-like, and that is fine, but it doesn't
> need to be a microformat. It can be POSH or RDFa or eRDF, or others.
> Having a pseudo namespace DC-foobar has been discouraged before.

Agreed.  Anyone that wants to look at re-using DC should instead look into
helping move the citation microformat effort forward, which has documented
DC as one of many previous formats that relate to citations.

DC by itself is not the answer.

http://microformats.org/wiki/citation

>> * It re-uses a vocabulary that is largely accepted in the web semantics
>>   community.

It's been mostly used to publish hidden metadata in pages that is either
ignored or polluted.  It's not really got much support of tools that support
it and do something useful with it - mostly academic projects.

> --- this is good we want to re-use not re-invent, but we also don't
> want to re-use whole-sale when possible, simply copying all of dublin
> core seems to be a solution to a non-problem.
>
> As new formats are created, we can look to existing formats like
> dublin core, we have done that with hAudio and attempted to reuse
> terms such as CONTRIBUTER, IMHO this is the proper way to proceed. Not
> a new dc-kitchen-sink-and-more approach.

Agreed, I just wrote up this process FAQ entry regarding "re-use whole-sale"

<http://microformats.org/wiki/process-faq#Can_a_microformat_be_class_names_f
rom_another_format_vocabulary>

Brian, feel free to expand on it, as you also have been around in the
community long enough to remember some of these old discussions.

Thanks,

Tantek