[uf-new] figure microformat

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Feb 23 12:07:24 PST 2008

In message <90BDFC58-9A87-46F9-9427-282B13BA19EC at tobyinkster.co.uk>,
Toby A Inkster <mail at tobyinkster.co.uk> writes

>I spent a couple of hours today summarising some of the suggestions
>people have made on the figure-examples page and condensing it down
>into a draft microformat:
 >
>http://microformats.org/wiki/figure

You last edit to that page was two days ago. Did you mean something
else?

>What do people think? Is it ready to go onto the drafts list or do  you
>think it needs a little extra work?

I think that's premature and should have been on a *-brainstorming page
before a draft spec was written. Perhaps you might move it to one, where
it can be discussed and alternatives proposed?

Turning to specifics, I think the dismissal of the "include pattern" is
unfortunate and needs to be reversed (not least because text suitable
for use as a caption might be buried in a paragraph else where on the
page); and more attention needs to be paid to the proper use of "alt"
and "longdesc" attributes.

Finally I'd like to see one or more use-cases explained - what will
parsers actually /do/ with this information?

--
Andy Mabbett