[uf-new] Re: hAudio issue: position

Michael Smethurst Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 02:08:37 PST 2008

I suspect I've thrown a red herring into the mix with the mention of
classical music... apologies

My point was really that when a track from an album is played in isolation
from that album (so on a radio episode tracklist or in a personal playlist)
the track position on the album is still important data. Which means
encoding this data as a property of the list ordering wouldn't work here. So
I'd vote to keep position as a separate attribute

I threw classical into the mix cos sometimes multiple tracks on an album can
have the same title (dependent on how the record company has segmented the
audio). In this case the track number is necessary to disambiguate which
track was played

The same is also true of audio books which often have multiple tracks per
chapter all having the same chapter title. Somewhat embarrassingly my ipod
currently contains Alan Bennett reading The Wind in the Willows were:

Track 1 = The River Bank
Track 2 = The River Bank
Track 3 = The Open Road
Track 4 = The Open Road
Etc

In terms of marking up acts and scenes and movements and works and etc I'd
encourage hAudio to steer well clear. It's a hideous minefield and I suspect
hAudio can solve 80% of the problem by avoiding this stuff. For an idea of
the complexity I'd point semweb minded people at the fine work of Yves
Raimond on the music ontology (which incidentally it would be nice to see
used in the rdf-a hAudio spec):

http://musicontology.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/