[uf-new] hAudio FN or Title

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:30:56 PST 2008

2008/1/31, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com>:
> The thought about porting the Dublin Core names over to Microformats was
> mentioned on the uf-discuss list. Having a Dublin Core Microformat, may
> be a solution that works for everybody.

--- we just have to be careful of creating a solution to a non-issue.
Microformats model established publishing practices and solve simple
problems.

> The main disagreement seemed to be in DC's choice of class names...

> This approach has two benefits:
>
> * It uses Microformat-like names.

--- it might be microformat-like, and that is fine, but it doesn't
need to be a microformat. It can be POSH or RDFa or eRDF, or others.
Having a pseudo namespace DC-foobar has been discouraged before.

> * It re-uses a vocabulary that is largely accepted in the web semantics
>   community.

--- this is good we want to re-use not re-invent, but we also don't
want to re-use whole-sale when possible, simply coping all of dublin
core seems to be a solution to a non-problem.

As new formats are created, we can look to existing formats like
dublin core, we have done that with hAudio and attempted to reuse
terms such as CONTRIBUTER, IMHO this is the proper way to proceed. Not
a new dc-kitchen-sink-and-more approach.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk