[uf-new] Possible Use for rel-tag for links.

Asa Berdahl asaberdahl at gmail.com
Sat May 31 06:21:54 PDT 2008

I have wasted hours try fruitlessly to develop a site and use
microformats at the same time. I wanted to add some of the
microformats use early on, in the design stage, but I couldn't find
anything that wouldn't require me filling in information I don't
already know. I kept thinking about what the rel-tag is for, "to
describe the relation between the current page and the linked
document", and then it struck me, why not try something there. We have
maybe four other rel-tag attributes for a link now, one more couldn't
hurt. I started to use what I like to call the rel-location.

I got bored and thought that it might not just be good for the server
to know, but the user as well, that they may be traveling away from
the native server. The links could use a rel-tag to tell that. The
possible values would be, "internal", or "external". They could be
used in numerous ways, but I digress. The idea would give whether or
not the page is hosted by the server, or a different server.

This is how I ended up seeing it used:

<ul id="page-navigation" rel="links">
</ul>

That was just one excerpt. The idea is to direct the user to a page
located on the local server. It may be needless, but it could help
with preventing theft of user information. It is simple and only needs
to be added once. It makes it easy to understand. This could help. I
may just be jumping off the deep end, but I thought it was a good
idea.