[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 06:57:27 PST 2008

David Janes wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> "if there is no Entry Title for a comment, it can be assumed to be empty or
>> the blog post title (investigate current atom feeds) "
>>
>> the atom:title element should not be empty...
>>
>> "It is advisable that each atom:entry element contain a non-empty atom:title
>> element"
>>

> Advisable is not SHOULD or MUST though. The latter part of my comment
> is probably the important thing ... let's have a look at some Atom
> published comment feeds (I suspect Blogger/Blogspot does this) and see
> what the current use consensus is.

they usually build something contextual from the comment...

http://www.chesslodge.com/2007/03/chess-video-lesson-2/feed/

http://bottomunion.com/blog/?feed=rss2&p=469

http://www.accidenthash.com/2007/04/02/gray-wet-yuck-monday/feed/

http://www.itsjerrytime.com/?feed=rss2&p=89

http://www.haloscan.com/members/rss.php?user=empirestatehuman

http://ryanedit.blogspot.com/feeds/113755745032692159/comments/default

....  are a few examples, the only thing they all really have in common
is the authors Name.

>> To exclude the entry-title element I would recommend a comment use the value
>> of "fn" presented in a contextual way eg:
>>
>> by Author
>> Author said
>> Author says
>> etc...
>>

> This seems overly prescriptive to me, but even then: if we think this
> is a good idea, why not just infer this if there's no entry-title.

I don't know David nothing really, the only real answer I can give to
this Is if you look at the feed examples above (and any other feed),
none of the titles are empty and to be honest I have never really seen
it in practice.

Thanks
> Regards, etc...

Martin McEvoy