[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 08:57:34 PST 2008

David Janes wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> I would like to add that one of the key problems about a "comment" is "How
>> do you track blog comments you've made? "
>>
>> If you explicitly detach the comments from the article by presenting the the
>> comments and the article in two separate feed elements, you break the
>> conversation, in other words the subject of the conversation(the article or
>> blog post) should explicitly remain with the conversation itself, this saves
>> the subscriber of a feed having to visit the webpage again, just to find out
>> what the conversation(comment) is about.
>>

> Two _nested_ Feeds. The Comment:Entry is nested in the Comments:Feed
> nested in the Blog:Entry in the (optional) Blog:Feed

"the Feed element is optional and, if missing, is assumed to be the page"

http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom#Feed

from the atom spec:

 http://www.atomenabled.org/developers/syndication/atom-format-spec.php#rfc.section.4.1.1

"The "atom:feed" element is the document (i.e., top-level) element of an
Atom Feed Document"

That being said the atom spec also says about content...

"If the value of "type" is an XML media type [RFC3023] or ends with
"+xml" or "/xml" (case insensitive), the content of
atom:content MAY include child elements and SHOULD be suitable for
handling as the indicated media type"

which is interesting I think, does this include <feed /> elements?
> BTW: Blogger just makes up a title [1] for comments
>
> Regard, etc...
>
> [1] http://rjmjanes.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default?alt=atom

Thank you

--