[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Sun Nov 16 05:00:56 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Toby A Inkster <mail at tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:

> #3, I think, David first brought to this list, with class="hfeed comments",
> though I had previously proposed class="hfeed replies" to Sarven off-list a
> month or two ago. Advantages are that although an explicit connection is
> given by placing the feed of replies within the thing being commented on, it
> requires no visible link at the comment level, and no fragment identifiers
> are required for each comment. This is a big advantage as it closely matches
> current publishing patterns. The disadvantages though are that it only
> allows a comment to be in reply to one particular thing; and it forces
> publishers of threaded messages to use one particular layout (the threaded
> one) rather than, say, a purely chronological order as the latter would lose
> connections between comments. (The threaded layout is of course the most
> common in practice, but in general microformats have historically steered
> away from enforcing any particular layout.)

"hfeed comments" has been kicking around since February, off list, and
I got the photos to prove it ;-)

I'm not sure why you think #3 forces a particular layout. Let me state
more formally:

* if Entry "B" is in an Entry Comments element of Entry "A", then
Entry "B" is a comment on Entry "A"
* an Entry Comments element is identified by using both class names
"hfeed comments"

That's it: you've got 100% coverage of all examples with no
presentation change and no required or implied changes to format
needed.

--
David Janes
Mercenary Programmer