[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Sun Nov 16 05:08:55 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Toby A Inkster <mail at tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:

> #1 is Sarven's rel="in-reply-to" proposal and variations on that theme.
> Advantages of it are that authors may give links to items which are off-page
> (for example, where a list of comments has been paginated due to extreme
> length), that a single comment may be made in-reply-to multiple items, and
> that it's conceptually very similar to Atom's threading extension (RFC
> 4685). A disadvantage is that it requires a link from one comment to another
> - such links are only found on a minority of sites in the wild, and
> whatsmore, they require the thing to which we are linking to have a fragment
> identifier.

Of the examples listed on the Wiki (as of last night), 0% have
presentation that could be covered by this pattern. If you're talking
about doing URL hacking, then add to the disadvantages that "requires
URL hacking" and "asserts semantically wrong facts as being true"

Regards, etc...

--
David Janes
Mercenary Programmer