[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sun Nov 16 15:03:39 PST 2008

David Janes wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Toby A Inkster <mail at
> tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:
> > David Janes wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure why you think #3 forces a particular layout.
> >
> > Imagine the following comments:
> >
> > - Comment A to the main article at 1:00 pm.
> > - Comment B to the main article at 2:00 pm.
> > - Comment C in reply to comment A at 3:00 pm.
> > - Comment D in reply to comment B at 4:00 pm.
> >
> > Use of class="hfeed replies" forces the comments to be placed in
> ACBD order:
> > C is a reply to A so it needs to be nested within a feed nested
> within A; B
> > cannot come between them. This means that the comments cannot be
> layed out
>
> Sorry, I don't see this ....  You can put
> <EntryComments>...<EntryComments> around comments, independent of
> ordering or nesting. To spell it out explicitly, e.g. and assuming
> EntryComments is physicalized using "hfeed comments"

    ... this is the blog post ...
        <abbr title="..." class="updated">1:00 pm</abbr>
        <abbr title="..." class="updated">2:00 pm</abbr>
        <abbr title="..." class="updated">3:00 pm</abbr>
        <abbr title="..." class="updated">4:00 pm</abbr>

Now the problem is: how do we explicitly markup that C is a reply to
A, and D is a reply to B? Without taking them out of chronological
order! That is the use case for rel="in-reply-to".

That's why I suggest allowing both class="hfeed replies" and rel="in-
reply-to". The former takes care of the most simple case, but the
latter is required for more complex threading.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>