[uf-new] hAudio 1.0 Draft Release

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 17:06:41 PDT 2008

Sigh!

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Answering several messages in one...
>
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
>> In Microformats this means that if a propery is used more than 80% of
>> the time then it should be included in the format, this will result in
>> the top 20% of all discovered properties making their way into the final
>> Microformat.
>
> Well, that's mathematical nonsense. Say we have 100 examples, each of
> which have (on average) five properties, but many of these properties
> are unique, such that overall there are 300 properties discovered. Say
> also that only three of these properties are common enough to have
> been found  in more than 80% of the examples. This means that you're
> saying that if the three properties that are used more than 80% of the
> time are included in the format, this will result in the top 20% of
> all discovered properties making their way into the microformat.
> Thus 20% of 300 is 3, right?
Wrong!  20 % of 300 is 60 Right?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=20%25+of+300 ;-)

> The Pareto Principle states that 80% of the effects emerge from 20% of
> the causes.
correct.
> So if there are N potential properties that can be included in the
> format, we can get 80% of the potential benefit by including the best
> N/5 of the properties.
I don't understand that sorry?

I will repeat in simple terms how this should be applied to microformats
design and proposal...

In Microformats this means that if a propery is used more than 80% of
the time (the effects) then it should be included in the format,

this will result in the top 20% of all discovered properties making
their way into the final Microformat (the causes).

In Microformats implies that you  require only 20% of the properties to
solve all cases. Its really basic computer science Toby I am surprised
that you of all people have trouble understanding the Pareto Principle?

[...]
> The content type should certainly be made explicit when known, but
> making it a class name is a mistake - the type attribute should be
> used as above. Making it into a class takes it away from the link, so
> you end up with stuff like this, which is meaningless:

>       <a rel="enclosure" href="foo1">download 1</a>
>       <a rel="enclosure" href="foo2">download 2</a>
Do you ever read any of my emails? ...don't you mean....

      <a  rel="enclosure" href="foo1" type="audio/ogg">download 1</a>
      <a rel="enclosure" href="foo2" type="audio/ogg">download 2</a>

[...]

>>  I had to look at the early implementers of haudio
>> and see how they were using  Item, No One currently is using Item
>
> The following use "item"...
>
> The official website of Adele, a singer/songwriter who reached #1 in
> the UK album chart earlier this year:
> http://adele.tv/music

hey I didn't know about this one nice job..
> A review of an album I put together earlier:
> http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/28/saturday-nights/

Nice too

> Some example uses of hAudio - contrived admittedly, but not too far
> away from the kind of stuff that gets published every day on
> blogs/wikis/etc:
> http://buzzword.org.uk/2008/audio/uf
> http://weborganics.co.uk/haudio-rss/
very much contrived, the latter of the two is due to be changed some
time soon back to single haudios published inside hAtom, for podcasting
in particular this is a better option.

> A playlist on a blog:
> http://openmediaweb.org/index.php/2008/01/13/publishing-my-workout-music-in-haudio/

> The last of these seems to be having server problems right now,

I have seen the page quite a few times

> but the source code can be verified at archive.org. There are probably
> others too. (I wish there were a search engine that allowed you to
> search by grepping through HTML source!)

Unnecessary I think as all the examples you have cited are not really
major implementers, I am not discrediting the authors efforts great job
by all of them, but I must assume that all the authors are aware that
hAudio has been in heavy almost continual development and knew at the
time that the hAudio schema can and probably will from time to time change?

Best Wishes

--
Martin McEvoy

http://weborganics.co.uk/