[uf-new] hAudio issue D2 "title"

Tantek Celik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 1 16:34:05 PDT 2008

Martin,

I agree with you that this is a larger issue impacting existing and new microformats, however, trying to come up with new names for the same meaning is not the answer, and will quickly fall apart.

We likely need to come up with scoping rules for all microformats like (just thinking out loud here, please do not implement) - some options:

1. any class name starting with an "h" should be treated as a root microformat which introduces a new scope
2. introduce a root microformat classname like "hroot" or "hitem" which introduces a new scope and require its use in addition to any new microformat root class name (eg class="hitem haudio") this is essentially the mfo solution but with a friendlier generic root name. Feel free to brainstorm additional friendly generic root names.
3. same as 2 except don't introduce any other root microformat-specific class names, and use some other mechanism to specify what type/kind of microformat the item is. E.g. all new microformats would start with class="hitem" and then we come up with another way of "typing" them.
4 ... ? Additional suggestions?

I'm on my BB enroute in the airport and would prefer to add this to the wiki (will do once I reach my destination, or feel free to do so - perhaps on a new page since it is a cross-microformat issue e.g. /wiki/root-brainstorming ) but I felt this issue was important enough to share a few of these thoughts immediately. Again these are just thoughts and not intended for implementation (at this point).

Thanks,

Tantek