[uf-new] hAudio issue D2 "title"

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 05:08:12 PDT 2008

Hello Toby

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Tantek wrote:
>
>> 1. any class name starting with an "h" should be treated as a root
>> microformat which introduces a new scope
>
> Classes that begin with an 'h' like 'header'?

I dont think Tantek means "all" in general I think he means Microformats
only

>     <h1 class="summary">Blah blah blah</h1>
>
> I can't imagine that constructions like this aren't common.
> 'header'/'heading' seems to be one of the most commonly used HTML
> classes around and 'help' is far from uncommon too.
> <http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/classes.html>
> <http://westciv.typepad.com/dog_or_higher/2005/11/real_world_sema.html>

I do understand what you are saying however :-)
I have those two links bookmarked, that are a good source of information
when picking class names for things that's partly why I was Insisting
that  class=title  should be used in haudio because its more popular
than help in both of your examples, that cant be though its already used.

> For that matter... classes that being with an 'h' like 'vcard', or
> 'vcalendar', or 'vevent', or 'xfolkentry', or 'adr', or 'geo'?
>
> A common pattern for root class names, with a low rate of false
> positives (e.g. /^uf[A-Z]/) would be ideal, but that ship has sailed.
> We don't have it, and it's not going to happen in the future.

You know you have just kicked a thought, I think I Preffer  the prefix
"X" like "xfolkentry" and would map thus  ^x[A-Z]  this would cause the
lowest rate of false positives because its not commonly used at the
beginning of words in the English language.

So how about I change this proposal to "XTITLE", I like it! microformats
would scope very nicely in this way

>> 2. introduce a root microformat classname like "hroot" or "hitem"
>> which introduces a new scope and require its use in addition to any
>> new microformat root class name (eg class="hitem haudio") this is
>> essentially the mfo solution but with a friendlier generic root name.
>> Feel free to brainstorm additional friendly generic root names.

Using the thought above hItem would be xItem,  nice!
> This is certainly the most workable solution. In Cognition I support
> this with class="mfo", but if consensus forms around some other class
> name (e.g. hroot), then of course it's pretty easy to support that
> instead/as well. (Though I have to say that hitem is awful — it looks
> like "hit 'em" — an unnecessarily violent class name.)
(lol)

> I have published an algorithm for parsing microformats (which deals
> with most general cases, but not a few special cases) and put it in
> the public domain:

Thank you Toby...

Best Wishes

Martin McEvoy