[uf-new] Microformats for hidden data

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Thu Nov 26 09:58:50 PST 2009

On Nov 26, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Toby Inkster wrote:

>> As I understand it, these limitations are what led the W3C to create
>> RDF, which is cross-linked from the meta element in the HTML spec.
>> And
>> the complexity of RDF, is of course what led to the rise of
>> microformats.

This isn't very accurate.  RDF was not created primarily as a response
to HTML's limitations, nor microformats as a response to RDF's
complexity.  The two only rarely overlap on the same use case.  It's
generally pretty clear which tool is more appropriate for a given
job.  For example:

> Have you considered using RDFa?

I agree, this seems much more in line with RDFa than microformats.  To
do this in microformats, we'd need to throw out the visible data
requirement, and re-interpret all of the other guidelines to no longer
presume visible data.  And after a lot of work, the result would end
up looking a lot like RDFa.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com