[uf-new] New proposal - replace custom web analytics markup with microformat(s)

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Thu Oct 29 07:54:20 PST 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 8:35 AM, Liam Clancy wrote:

> As part of this consultation we published a draft microformat we
> called 'hPage' (not to be confused with an earlier proposal to this
> list by the same name):
>
> <https://jshub.org/hPage/>

> We are working full-time on this and other related projects at
> jsHub.org and I appreciate your time and am very much looking
> forward to hearing your opinions.

I see several problems with hPage.  Unfortunately, it looks like
you've gone too far to correct these problems without a complete
overhaul.

> This proposal was developed using the published microformats process
> as much as possible

Can you maybe clarify how you accomplished each step of the process?
For example, where are the real world examples?

You've published some microformat principles, but you seem to have
violated nearly all of them:

- Solve a specific problem
	hPage explicitly models two different types of data: HTML pages and
dynamic content fragments.  The former is already modeled by HTML
itself, and the latter is often not published within HTML documents.
- Design for humans first, machines second.
	The data you're modeling is primarily for machines.
- Reuse existing building blocks, such as semantic HTML and existing
microformats
	You've circumvented <title>, among other existing building blocks.
- Modularity / embeddability
	You've declared definitions for incredibly generic terms like "name"
and "type" as specific to the context(s) of hPage, which would make
them unusable by any other microformat.

These are large enough problems that I'd suggest revisiting the
beginning of the microformats process and walking through it all
again.  Let's talk about just the first step: what exactly is the
problem you're trying to solve?  I know you've stated this already,
but it'll be hard for anyone to focus on the problem as long as you're
stating it in the context of a specific solution.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com