[uf-new] note/notereference class-pattern microformat?

Toby Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 15:56:14 PDT 2010

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 13:26:20 -0400
Sebastian Heath <sh1933 at nyu.edu> wrote:

>   So perhaps the place to start is small: two classes for indicating
> the relationship between notes and references to those notes in a
> text. I'm purposefully punting on whether these notes are
> end/foot/sidenotes, because that seems to be a runtime decision
> and/or personal preference. I want to cover both.

rel=footnote is pretty widely used. Despite the name, it doesn't have do
point to a note in the traditional footnote style, but could point to
an endnote or a note on another page.

It's mentioned in this old W3C pre-HTML-4.0 document:

	http://www.w3.org/TR/relations.html

Various versions of Markdown include it in their HTML output.

> I'm an RDFa and Digital Humanities geek who is dipping my toes into
> the microformat community for the first time.

Well, with RDFa 1.1 profiles, rel=footnote can even be successfully
interpreted as RDFa.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>