[uf-rest] Indexable AHAH pages

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Fri Dec 23 21:04:55 PST 2005

Hi all,

A friend of mine raised an interesting question.  He wants to use
AHAH for important website content, so he'd like to make sure that it
gets properly indexed.  My suggestion (which I added to the wiki) was:

http://microformats.org/wiki/rest/ahah#Indexing
> Another advantage of AHAH is that the dynamic XHTML content can be
> easily indexed by search engines; this avoids the need to inline
> all the dynamic content as hidden divs, which would increase page
> load times.
>
> The current best practice for doing this is to:
>
> included <link> tags in <head> of the parent page, to reference the
> various URLs retrieved by AHAH
> include <redirects> in the outer HTML of the AHAH page, so that
> search hits go to an appropriate anchor on the parent page
> It is possible that some crawlers will automatically index the URLs
> in the JavaScript calls, if recognized as such (e.g., due to the
> "html" extension, or if it is an absolute URL), though it is not
> clear how well this would work.

However, I'm not enough of a web crawler guru to know whether this is
actually good advice. Anybody more knowledgeable want to chime in?

Thanks!

-- Ernie P.