[uf-rest] Instance/Collection URL conventions

David Heinemeier Hansson david at loudthinking.com
Wed Nov 16 08:54:17 PST 2005

> With presumably one of these as the default (no suffix)
> representation.
> The idea is to:
> * extend REST to allow multiple server-side representations

I wonder how many are actually going to implement different possible
representations. Like @dl and @ol.

> * focus on structure ("form") not actions ("edit")

You could easily have multiple forms for different kinds of actions.
I could have edit and extended_edit, which were both showing a form.

Also, I don't really like the aesthetics of /@form for a public-
facing link. What do we gain with the addition of @?

> * avoid the need to tweak data templates; use CSS to format the
> result instead

This is one of my prime concerns about this whole thing. I doubt that
this will be possible in all cases. Or perhaps even enough cases to
make it generally feasible. CSS can do a lot, but it can't do all.
Certain designs will still necessitate a certain structure.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson
http://www.37signals.com    -- Basecamp, Backpack, Writeboard, Tada