[uf-rest] Roy Fielding on WebDAV and PROPs

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Apr 14 13:41:58 PDT 2006

Hi Dimitri,

> Philosophical ramblings of what's data and what's meta-data aside, the
> reality is that metadata has been living inside of data quite
> comfortably on the Web. I can't understand why you would want to have
> it any other way. Honestly, I am struggling here.

The issue is that there is metadata which conceptually lives
*alongside* the document:
* how long is it
* when was it last accessed
* when was it last modified
* who most recently viewed

These are the kinds of things that should NOT be inside the document
--  imagine the loop of trying to continually recalculate a document
which contains a description of its own length, or keeping track of
last-modified time that way...

In addition, there are some formats which simply do not allow useful
metadata to live inside them -- e.g., GIFs, if I recall correctly.

I absolutely agree that much of what is called metadata belongs in
the document, and should be kept there. But, we do need something for
the "true" metadata, which really does live alongside (meta) data.

-- Ernie P.