[uf-rest] Introducing JAHAH (regarding JSONP)

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Thu Jan 5 11:14:10 PST 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Justin Maxwell wrote:
> This is an interesting approach.  However, I can't even consider
> using it.  How can exploiting browser flaws to bypass necessary
> security measures provide a permanent, dependable solution to
> anything?

Yeah, someone else sent me the same concern privately.  I didn't
realize that JSON was designed for 'eval' parsing, which is a bit
scary.  That's one reason why I really as much behavior as possible
to be declarative rather than procedural.

I think the custom tags idea for allowing an extra dictionary is a
nice tough, but it sounds like a convention for using those within
XOXO might be more viable.

For that matter, since we've already determined that responseText
passes along 'meta' information, wouldn't it be simpler to just use
*that* as our out-of-band key-value datastore?  True, one can't do
complex data structures, but I suspect that it would solve the 80%
case, which is what AHAH is all about.  Right?

I've added notes to this effect at: http://microformats.org/wiki/rest/
ahah#Meta_tags

Of course, I'm willing to revise that page (and my opinion :-) based
on better information, or further experience with real-world
implementations.

-- Ernie P.