[uf-rest] "Casual Web Services" and Well Designed Urls

Etan Wexler ewexler at stickdog.com
Sun Oct 22 13:45:34 PDT 2006

Mark Baker wrote to Microformats REST:

> What does "out of band" mean here?
>
> If it means "not in the messages being exchanged", then I agree that
> REST has something to say about that viz a viz the hypermedia
> constraint.

I intended “out of band” not only as a label for stuff which is not in
the messages exchanged, but also as a label for stuff which is in the
messages exchanged but does not constitute hypermedia.

Hypermedia includes rules of construction where the rules find
expression in a resource representation of a standard content type and
where the content type indicates how to interpret the rules. HTML forms
count.

> I can't see what it is about Mike's original message (or
> welldesignedurls.org) that breaks that constraint.

I quote Mike Schinkel’s original message
(<http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2006-October/006341.html>):

“Since the URL structure of a REST-based web services typically becomes
an important part of the API, HTML web pages will need Well Designed
Urls in order to operate effectively as REST-based web services.”

Again I admit that I don’t really know what REST-based Web services are.
I welcome a definition, most of all from Mike Schinkel.

Mike Schinkel’s original message does not, by itself, break the
constraint of hypermedia as the engine of application state. I admit
that I read into the message meaning which was not explicit. Let me make
my understanding explicit to allow corrections:

• I understand “the URL structure of a REST-based web [service]
typically becomes an important part of the API” as meaning that it is
within REST when a manager of an origin server chooses, instead of
hypermedia, natural-language documentation of the manager’s allocation
policies for URIs.

• I understand “the URL structure of a REST-based web [service]
typically becomes an important part of the API” as meaning that it is
within REST when a designer of a user agent chooses, instead of
programming the user agent to seek and use hypermedia, to program the
user agent with the designer’s knowledge of allocation policies for URIs
and with the designer’s presumptions about feasible and desirable
transitions between application states.