Difference between revisions of "Main Page"
m (added accessibility reference)
|Line 50:||Line 50:|
== Design Patterns ==
== Design Patterns ==
== Exploratory discussions ==
== Exploratory discussions ==
Revision as of 15:04, 5 August 2006
Please read How to Play before making any edits.
Please read The microformats process before proposing any new microformats.
What are microformats? And what can you do with them? See the about page for an overview, and the Introduction to Microformats page for more info. Recent press, presentations, microformats podcasts, and screencasts are also a good place for some background reading/listening. Frequently asked questions are answered in the Microformats FAQ. Want something or want to contribute? Help with things To Do. Want to learn more in person? Check out microformats Microformats events.
One popular definition from our mailing list (see also: Mailing Lists) is "simple conventions for embedding semantics in HTML to enable decentralized development." More precisely, microformats can be defined as:
- simple conventions
- for embedding semantic markup
- for a specific problem domain
- in human-readable (X)HTML/XML documents, Atom/RSS feeds, and "plain" XML
- that normalize existing content usage patterns
- using brief, descriptive class names
- often based on existing interoperable standards
- to enable decentralized development
- of resources, tools, and services
"Or do you just use your browser to browse? That's so 20th century." -- Mark Pilgrim
- XFN (see also: XFN Implementations)
- Robots Exclusion
Design patterns are common uses of markup across microformats.
- abbr design pattern
- Date Design Pattern
- Datetime Design Pattern
- Value Class Pattern
Research and analysis of real-world Best Practices for Examples Pages, existing formats, and brainstorming to motivate the microformat.
- blog description examples
- blog info examples
- blog post examples, formats, and brainstorming (yielded the hAtom draft)
- book examples, formats, and brainstorming
- chat examples, formats, and brainstorming
- citation effort, examples, formats, brainstorming, and FAQ
- comment problem, examples, and formats (Some stuff needs to be extracted from comments-formats)
- currency examples and brainstorming
- directions examples
- directory inclusion examples, formats. (see also rel-directory)
- distributed conversation overview, brainstorming, examples, and formats
- forms examples
- genealogy examples
- hash examples
- last modified examples, formats, and brainstorming
- hListing proposal, and feedback
- location formats. (see also adr and Geo)
- media info examples
- meeting minutes examples, formats, and brainstorming
- metalink examples
- MFO examples
- music examples
- photo note examples
- recipe examples
- rel-product brainstorming
- requirements testing overview, and examples
- REST examples
- resume brainstorming, and formats
- review examples, and formats (yielded the hReview draft)
- search results example
- show brainstorming
- showroll brainstorming
- table examples
- tagspeak examples
- transit table examples
- widget examples, and brainstorming
- wiki formats
- work of art overview, examples, formats, and brainstorming
- XMDP brainstorming (see also xmdp-faq)
Tools & Test Cases & Additional Research
The first place to look for examples, code, and test cases is in the pages for each individual microformat. There are only a few cross-cutting tools and services that need to process more than one microformat. This section is intended for editors, parsers, validators, test cases, and other information relevant across multiple microformats.
- Microformat FAQs relating to RDF
- Source code repository
- vcard-implementations, vCard errata
- Microformats Buttons
- demo - a page with links for quickly demonstrating microformats working in practice.
- Microformats events
- To Do
- User Interface
microformats wiki in other languages
You may read and edit microformats articles in many other languages:
- languages with over 50 articles
- languages with over 2 articles
- languages with 2 articles
microformats translations elsewhere
These are offsite pages/sites with translations about microformats. If you are working on one of these, please consider translating the main microformats website!
Start a microformats wiki in another language
Don't see the language you want? Help translate the microformats wiki into another language!
We're still figuring this out.
You may want to start with the list of Stable pages, which are pages that are relatively stable, and have only minimal/editorial changes, which makes them much easier to keep in sync with the English versions, by using the my watchlist feature (use it to watch the pages you've translated for changes).
Page naming: for the translated version of a page, use the same name for the page, and simply add the RFC 3066 language identifier code as a dash suffix. E.g. for the French version, Main_Page becomes Main_Page-fr, and How to Play becomes Comment jouer.
more languages folks want to see
- Chinese: 微格式 (Microformats) (see source of translation)