Welcome to the microformats wiki. There's a lot going on around here, but feel free to jump in and offer your assistance.
Please read How to Play before making any edits.
Please read The microformats process before proposing any new microformats.
What are microformats? See the about page for an overview, and the Introduction to Microformats page for more info. Recent press and presentations are also a good place for some background reading as well.
One popular definition from our mailing list is "simple conventions for embedding semantics in HTML to enable decentralized development." More precisely, microformats can be defined as:
- simple conventions
- for embedding semantic markup
- for a specific problem domain
- in human-readable (X)HTML/XML documents, Atom/RSS feeds, and "plain" XML
- that normalize existing content usage patterns
- using brief, descriptive class names
- often based on existing interoperable standards
- to enable decentralized development
- of resources, tools, and services
"Or do you just use your browser to browse? That's so 20th century." -- Mark Pilgrim
Microformats open standards specifications (see also: Microformats Implementations)
- XFN (see also: XFN Implementations)
- adr (new!)
- Geo (new!)
- Robots Exclusion
- xFolk RC1
Focused on real-world Best Practices for Examples Pages to motivate the microformat.
- Current Blog Formats
- chat examples
- Citation Brainstorming
- Planning pages for a citation microformat
- directory-inclusion-examples (see also directory-inclusion-formats)
- Genealogy Formats
- listing-examples (see also listing-formats, listing-brainstorming)
- other formats
- Resume Formats
- XMDP Brainstorming (see also xmdp-faq)
Tools & Test Cases & Additional Research
The first place to look for examples, code, and test cases is in the pages for each individual microformat. There are only a few cross-cutting tools and services that need to process more than one microformat. This section is intended for editors, parsers, validators, test cases, and other information relevant across multiple microformats.
microformats wiki in other languages
You may read and edit microformats articles in
many different languages at least one more language:
microformats wiki languages with over 2 articles
Français (French) (Thanks to neuro`!)