<entry-title>Geo Examples In The Wild</entry-title>
This page is an informative section of the geo specification.
The following sites have published geos, outside their normal context of hCards or hCalendars, and thus are a great place to start for anyone looking for examples "in the wild" for inspiration, or try parsing and indexing, in addition to the in many hCard examples in the wild and hCalendar examples in the wild.
Examples of large publishers of geo microformat (sorted by stats first, then other presumably large publishers).
All 1.6+ billion OpenStreetMap nodes have a geo microformat. E.g.
OpenStreetMap wiki Stats page says there are over 1.6 billion nodes on OpenStreetMap.
OpenStreetMap GPS trace pages and diary entry pages also have geo.
Flickr supports the geo microformat on all geotagged photos. Within 11 days of launch there were now over 3,000,000+ photos (as of 2006-09-07) marked up with the "geo" microformat.
Geograph British Isles
Geograph British Isles has support for geos on 350,000+ photo pages, for example
POI66 has over 58,500 waypoints Geo-formatted, many describing trails e.g.:
Google Panoramio and Maps
Panoramio (Google acquired in 2007) is a geolocation-oriented photo sharing service that publishes numerous photos with the geo microformat (including latitude and longitude): e.g.
Google Maps links to nearby Panoramio photos. E.g.
- Settle, North Yorkshire BD24 left column has a thumbnail linked to the aforementioned:
new and uncategorized examples
Have geo? If you have a site with geo(s), add it to the top of this list. Include at least one URL to a page that includes actual Geo markup. Examples without direct links to pages with geo(s) will be removed. Check back after a few days, to see if anyone has found any problems with the examples supplied. Note that examples may be categorized and moved to the grouped section below.
- pages with live geo can use this button (see also Microformats Buttons)
- Charles Church House Builder uses hCard for property development addresses and geo latitude and longitude. See Homes for sale in Ammanford page for embedded hcard on property development pages.
- Flightline - geo location of Reservations Office, which is open to the public.
- Forum Energies Réseaux uses geo data, among others, to help users pinpoint the exact location of the tradeshow.
- NASCESKYRAJ.CZ uses hCards geo tag for exactly location specification of every accomodation object in Bohemian Paradise, Czech republic
- okTravel Sydney Features geo microformat data for various places across Australia.
- MapQuest Local uses hCards for locations, hCalendar for events and supports the draft Geo format when lat/lng data is provided. See Microformat Support on MapQuest Local for more information.
- LocalHero (localhero dot biz) A local search which returns it search results in geo microformat (as well as many other microformats).
- Altos Research LLC Provides geo microformat data for each city-specific real estate research pages.
- Dance Federation Salsa Dancing & Jive Dancing Lessons and Events Directory for classes, lessons and events users hcalendar and geo for events and lessons.
- Locify - geo location of stored places by users from mobile client
- Upcoming.org - geo location of event
- Yahoo! Local - geo location of businesses, services, and events
- TripIt - Each trip in the TripIt contact list of your connections is marked up with geo markup.
- Qpzm Locastats - Stats and geo location for Australian Suburbs and cities.
- TripSailor.com sailing community site features Geo for worldwide marina guide and hReview for reviews. See Lymington Marina with reviews
- ShareMyRoutes.com uses geo microformat descriptions of waypoints and photos, and has geo formatted download of route information, e.g.Dalby Forest Red Route
- tilaphos blog uses geo microformats for pointing to burnt areas recorded with a GPS and shown on a Google map. In Greek language. Other pages using geo microformats: map and full page map
- Map My Tracks uses Geo microformats for the starting points of individual tracks created by mobile phone GPS tracking. See: Elsenham Golf course
- Warmoth Guitar Products Customer Gallery features Geo microformats on the individual guitar detail pages. Example: Patrick Abbot's Guitar
- BBC World Service Bangladesh River Journey a social network mashup, uses Geo with hAtom entries. See Dharmafly blog discussion.
- GPSies.com uses Geo markup to show start and endpoint of a track.
- Christian Hess uses Geo to indicate where pictures in his photo gallery where taken, such as here and here.
- Txioka has support for Geo and hCalendar microformats, parses twitter messages with twitter nanoformats and converts to geo and hcalendar.
- NaviTraveler, e. g. Lincoln Memorial.
- Response in under 12 hours, to advocacy request - Andy Mabbett
- Caving in the Settle Area uses Geo to mark up the U.K. NGR for cave locations.
- Great Circle Mapper ("GCM"; e.g. sample GCM trip, BHX on GCM)
- Creation design & marketing has Geo microformat on the contact information.
- LogOn.ie have added Geo (and hCard) to their contact page.
- www.davidosbornephotography.co.uk has implemented Geo on all location photography pages; eg. Callanish Stones
- 'Area' pages on Wholemap, summarizing the photos, videos, etc... for a specific area, now have Geo codes - Niagara Falls, for example May 10, 2007
- Geo has been added to all of Socialight's Sticky Notes - here's an example: 
- The Bay of Islands site has Geo on its main page, and all photo pages. Example: photo of Edgewater Apartments
- Spotstor.com - e.g.  uses Geo for all coordinates displayed on the site.
- jillesvangurp.com provides an xsl stylesheet to transform Google Earth place-marks (KMZ files) into html with nested lists of Geo formatted places. Several examples are provided.
- 3AM Productions has published coordinates of cities both in and outside the context of hCards under Jason's and Gil's pages.
- Wikitravel now has the facility to add co-ordinates for the subject of the article, and publishes them as a Geo microformat - e.g. Wikitravel - Birmingham; see The announcement.
- ocono.com has marked each of it's "Upcoming Events" items with latitude/longitude values.
- Harry Chen has marked up his geo location
- Multimap.com uses Geo to mark up latitude and longitude values on map pages.
- Pete Prodoehl geotags posts on his blog.
- 07.pagesd.info uses Geo to mark up latitude and longitude values for each commune of the Ardèche département in France.
- OpenGuides has support for Geo in svn, and for now you can see it in action on the Cotswolds OpenGuide
- Djerba Directory uses Geo to markup Lat/Long values attached to Vcard for some listed services in Directory.
Examples which don't publish the geo microformat themselves, but automatically link their geo information to a separate site/page that with their geo microformat markup.
Wikipedia's GeoTemplate which is called by many thousands of other Wikipedia pages have links to pages exposing their geo microformat markup. Example:
German Wikipedia (Wikipedia-DE) map link pages have geo e.g.
Italian Wikipedia (Wikipedia-IT), has geo on all map link pages automatically linked from pages using the coord template, e.g.
Dutch Wikipedia (Wikipedia-NL) has geo on all its map-links pages, e.g.
examples with some problems
Entries may be moved here if there's a problem with the way Geo is used on the page concerned. If the page is yours, and you want to improve it, see the hCard & Geo FAQ, or raise any queries on hCard & Geo Issues or the mailing list, where people will be happy to help you.
- Wikipedia-EN templates_generating_Geo
- hidden - for example List of Minnesota state parks
- Bar Camp Block
- Geo uses integer values; displayed text also has minutes and seconds
- Dan Connoly's Index of Events has a few Geos
- Two of the Geos are invalid because they use commas instead of semicolons
- Map showing global distribution of Geo-tagged Wikipedia articles.
- This is no longer displaying anything. - Tantek 19:24, 29 March 2013 (UTC)
all images tagged in Wikimedia Commons using decimal or D-M-S values have geo markup. Example:
- Montreal City Hall, Jan 2006 (has a geo value in string latitude;longitude format in a single element)
- Wikipedia template hcard-geo, for in-line hCards with coordinates, using Geo, such as that on Engine Arm
- no geo as of 2013-088 - Tantek 19:24, 29 March 2013 (UTC)
- Geo cheatsheet
- Geo examples
- geo formats - previous/other attempts at geo related formats
- Geo brainstorming - brainstorms and other explorations relating to Geo (and Geo in hCard).
- see also hCard brainstorming
- Geo advocacy - encourage others to use Geo.
- Geo examples in the wild
- Geo forms part of hCard 1.0, so please use:
- hCard FAQ. If you have any questions about Geo, check the hCard FAQ.
- hCard feedback
- hCard issues
- location-formats - research which led to the development of Geo.
- proposed extensions
- geo-extension-nonWGS84 - extend Geo for representing coordinates on other planets, moons etc.; and for other terrestrial schema
- geo-extension-waypoints - extend Geo for representing: sets of waypoints; tracks; routes; and boundaries
- Geo profile - draft