- 1 hCard advocacy
- 1.1 Online Profiles
- 1.2 Online Venues
- 1.3 Plugins for and modifications of web-applications
- 1.4 Wikpedia hCard
- 1.5 Telephone Directory Listings
- 1.6 Postal (ZIP) code Finders
- 1.7 Government hCard
- 1.8 Organization Contacts
- 1.9 Individual hCards
- 1.10 Trade directories
- 1.11 Other hCard
- 1.12 Successes
- 1.13 See also
Adding hCard to these sites would make them quite handy for their users and for being indexed:
Nearly every website that has a login has a page representing the public profile of the user that other users can see and interact with. Many such sites already support hCard (e.g. ClaimID.com, Flickr.com, Technorati.com, Zooomr.com). Here are some that I think would benefit from the addition of hCard to their profile / user pages. Feel free to add more such sites that have a social network profile-like component and I'll see what I can do. Tantek 17:44, 13 Dec 2006 (PST)
- Wikimedia - including this site, Wikipedia (See WikiProject Microformats), Wikitravel, etc.
- It would be nice if [[User:YOURNAME]] links generated proper (mini)hCards. (per SteveIvy; moved from 'to-do')
- Alexa.com has online profiles for domains with contact information. Would be great if they could add hCard to those. 2007-04-18 User:Tantek requested of User:BenWest e.g.:
- Dodgeball profiles and venues need hCard for people and organizations
- i dub you
- ICQ, where they show ppls profiles and have a few ways of contacting and/or connection to ppl.
- http://youtube.com The very popular youtube have profiles that do include some information that might use hCard.
- Facebook is a very popular (over 13 miljon members) community.
- Pownce - I'm talking with them, and have requested the following (and a bit more) as of 2007-07-29 - Tantek
- needs to add class="photo" to image icon
- needs to add class="note" to description
- needs to add hCard+XFN to friends lists.
There are many sites that offer pages that represent organizations and venues that could benefit from being marked up with hCard. Yahoo Local venues are marked up with hCards for example. Here are some more sites that have venues that would benefit from hCard markup.
Plugins for and modifications of web-applications
Many web-applications use plugin-systems to change their behaviour and content. Most notable is probably web-forums and blogs. Many of these have a community of coders that develop plugins or code to modify the default behaviour of these web-applications. Here are some sites where it might be interesting to develop hcard-related plugins/mods.
- Infobox Templates for people to add hCard to their generated markup
- Addressable buildings e.g. The Old Crown, Birmingham
- Tourist attractions, e.g. Cadbury World
- Companies, e.g. Tesco (note headquarters address in infobox)
- Motorway service stations, e.g. Watford Gap
- Railway Stations, e.g. Perry Barr
- See also WikiProject Microformats Andy Mabbett 13:10, 28 Jan 2007 (PST)
- See also discussion of Wikipedia's Persondata, which aligns very closely with hCard, but has additional date and place of birth & death fields. Andy Mabbett 13:23, 28 Mar 2007 (PDT)
Telephone Directory Listings
Telephone Directory Listings could usefully apply hCard to their results pages. Andy Mabbett 03:10, 13 Nov 2006 (PST)
e.g. (please add other examples!):
- Requested via e-mail, 2006-11-13. Andy Mabbett
- White Pages (USA/ Canada)
- White Pages (Australia)
- Stitchboard (USA)]
- Yahoo! People Search (USA)
- Lycos People Search (USA)
- BSNL (India)
Postal (ZIP) code Finders
Postal code Finders could usefully apply hCard to their results pages. Andy Mabbett 12:09, 13 Nov 2006 (PST)
e.g. (please add other examples!):
- Royal Mail (UK)
UK Gov. hCard
- Parliament: Alphabetical List of Members of Parliament (see also other lists of MPs and Lords). Andy Mabbett
Europe Gov. hCard
- e.g. UK MEPs
http://maplight.org/ can use a bunch of hCard markup, e.g.
- individual politicians, like Nancy Pelosi
- mentions of politicians on interest pages like Teachers unions
- their contact info of course: http://www.maplight.org/contact
Requested by Tantek 12:13, 30 May 2007 (PDT) in person at the NetSquared2007 conference.
Many companies and organizations have about or contact pages that could benefit from being marked up with hCard. Technorati's contact page for example is both marked up with hCard and has a convenient "Add to Address Book" hCard to vCard converter link. The following company sites could benefit from similar markup (and, until user agents support hCards natively, "Add to Address Book" links). Tantek 17:44, 13 Dec 2006 (PST)
- IBM contact page
- Requested by asking IBM employee Michael Kaply via IRC 2007-07-31 08:57am PDT: "how about getting hCard and 'Add to address book' links on the IBM contact page?"
- IBM contact page
- People, e.g. Håkon Wium Lie; could also be hResume
Getting these sites to at least add hCard to their home page or contact info page and then ping Pingerati would be an excellent start with getting them some experience with microformats and thinking about adding microformats to other places in their sites that make sense:
- Internet Movie Database (IMDb) for people (real, not characters), e.g. Humphrey Bogart. Andy Mabbett 02:49, 13 Nov 2006 (PST)
- Can't find contact info! Andy Mabbett
- See also example, below.
- WorldCat Identities
- The recently prototyped WorldCat Identities provides pages for 20 million 'identities', mainly authors and people who are the subjects of published titles.
- Requested by feedback form, 2007-03-09 Andy Mabbett
- No reply, as of 02:02, 13 Jun 2007 (PDT)
- Requested by e-mail, 2007-06-07 Andy Mabbett
- Reply confirms that they will deploy hCard and Geo
- Geo noted in use, 06:08, 30 Jul 2007 (PDT)
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (ODNB); subscription based, but some ODNB articles available free. All 56,000+ entries have Date of Death.
- Find-a-Grave e.g. Karl Marx. Most entries have Date of Death.
- Biography.com e.g. Camille Monet Most posthumous entries have Date of Death.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (1.75 million people's details)
- E-mail sent 2007-08-24. Andy Mabbett
- Details of hCard should be added to the Internet Mail Consortium's vCard page
- Wikipedia-EN - starting to roll-out
- UK Railway station template, e.g. Birmingham New Street station (includes Geo)
- JPG magazine - have sent email to their web developer with sample marked up member profile with hCard and XFN - The XHTML Friends Network rel="me". Tantek 23:48, 21 Feb 2007 (PST)
- Twitter.com - working on it Tantek 17:44, 13 Dec 2006 (PST).
- Consumating.com - working on it Tantek 17:44, 13 Dec 2006 (PST)
- SunlightLabs API provides profiles for US Congresspeople. Their megatable could easily be marked up with hCard, and their APIs could return hCards and hCard fields.
- Tantek 12:30, 20 Apr 2007 (PDT) contacted them and requested that they add hCard to megatable, consider a GethCard API method, and potentially a GethResume API method for each person.
- CarlAnderson 26 Apr 2007: http://sunlightlabs.com/api does now have a people.getHCard.php API method to get an hCard for every member of congress. See the documentation at http://sunlightlabs.com/api/people.getHCard.php. An example call: http://api.sunlightlabs.com/people.getHCard.php?id=fakeopenID1
- CarlAnderson 30 Apr 2007: I created a page of hCards for every member of congress: http://sunlightlabs.com/api/hcards/index.php
- hCard cheatsheet - hCard properties
- hCard creator (feedback) - create your own hCard.
- hCard authoring - learn how to add hCard markup to your existing contact info.
- hCard examples - example usage of various classes within hCard.
- hCard examples in the wild - an on-going list of websites which use hCards.
- hCard supporting user profiles - sites with user profiles marked up with hCard - a very common example.
- hCard FAQ - if you have any questions about hCard, check here.
- hCard implementations - websites or tools which either generate or parse hCards.
- hCard parsing - normative details of how to parse hCards.
- hCards and pages - semantic distinctions between different hCards on a page, and how to identify each
- hcard-user-interface - techniques and issues surrounding user-interfaces to author, publish, and display hCards.
- hCard profile - the XMDP profile for hCard
- hCard singular properties - an explanation of the list of singular properties in hCard.
- hCard tests - a wiki page with actual embedded hCards to try parsing.
- hCard advocacy - encourage others to use hCard
- hCard "to do" - jobs to do
The hCard specification is a work in progress. As additional aspects are discussed, understood, and written, they will be added. These thoughts, issues, and questions are kept in separate pages.
- hCard brainstorming - brainstorms and other explorations relating to hCard.
- hCard feedback - general feedback (as opposed to specific issues).
- hCard issues - specific issues with the specification.
- vCard errata - corrections to the vCard specification, which underlies hCard.
- vCard suggestions - suggested improvements to the vCard specification.