Microformats Implementations and Implementors
This page lists the applications, plugins, sample code, services, tools as well as companies, developers and organizations which support microformats, along with the developers responsible for doing so that have chosen to be listed. This is only a partial list. If you know other companies implementing microformats, please add them and list their services and what specific microformats they support.
- 1 Microformats Implementations and Implementors
- 1.1 Formats
- 1.2 Applications / Plugins / Services / Tools
- 1.2.1 Andy Hume Blog
- 1.2.2 BlogMatrix
- 1.2.3 Blogmarks.net
- 1.2.4 Community Server
- 1.2.5 Cork'd
- 1.2.6 Dreamweaver
- 1.2.7 Drupal
- 1.2.8 EVDB
- 1.2.9 Firefox
- 1.2.10 Flickr People
- 1.2.11 Flock
- 1.2.12 Google Search
- 1.2.13 Google Creative Commons Search
- 1.2.14 hCalendar creator
- 1.2.15 hCard creator
- 1.2.16 hKit Microformats Toolkit for PHP5
- 1.2.17 hReview creator
- 1.2.18 Ice Rocket
- 1.2.19 iChat buddy list to hCards
- 1.2.20 JSCalendar
- 1.2.21 Karova
- 1.2.22 Konqueror
- 1.2.23 Laughing Squid Calendar
- 1.2.24 LiveJournal
- 1.2.25 LJFind
- 1.2.26 Microformat Base
- 1.2.27 Microformat Parser for Ruby
- 1.2.28 Nutch
- 1.2.29 ODEO
- 1.2.30 RFC2629.xslt
- 1.2.31 Salesforce
- 1.2.32 SPRACI
- 1.2.33 Technorati Contacts Feed Service
- 1.2.34 Technorati Events Feed Service
- 1.2.35 Technorati Microformats Search
- 1.2.36 Technorati Search
- 1.2.37 Technorati Tags
- 1.2.38 Textpattern
- 1.2.39 Upcoming.org
- 1.2.40 WordPress
- 1.2.41 X2V
- 1.2.42 Yahoo Creative Commons Search
- 1.2.43 Yahoo Local
- 1.2.44 Yahoo Tech
- 1.2.45 Yahoo UK Movies
- 1.3 Companies / Developers / Organizations
- 1.4 Additional Sites
- 1.5 general info
Most microformat specifications have an "implementations" section, e.g.:
In addition, some microformat specifications have separate implementation pages:
Applications / Plugins / Services / Tools
This is an alphabetical listing of all applications, plugins (grouped with their app/tool), services and tools that implement microformats, along with the list of microformats that are supported, and the company and/or developers responsible for it.
As a user, the implementations listed below will automatically help you use microformats and help your data portability and interoperability with other apps and services.
Please help complete this list! If you know of additional apps/plugins/services/tools that support microformats, please add them!
Andy Hume Blog
- Andy Hume uses the hCard format to mark-up the names and URLs of commentors on his blog.
- by Andy Hume
- BlogMatrix - user information marked as hCard, tag directories in xFolk RC1/rel="tag", enclosures are marked as rel="enclosure".
- by David Janes
- Community Server supports tagging posts with rel="tag", implements rel="nofollow" on links in comments, and allows users to create link lists using XFN.
- Cork'd supports hCard for user profiles, hReview for wine reviews, along with rel="tag" for tagging wines as announced in Pairing Wine and Microformats
- Dreamweaver Microformats Extensions (download) support authoring hCard, hCalendar, XFN, rel="tag", rel="license" as announced by Drew
Upcoming module for Drupal
- greasemonkey scripts for Firefox
Google Creative Commons Search
- by Ryan King
- The open source hCard creator (originally published by Tantek) is a very simple, yet illustrative, open source user interface / form / script which creates an hCard in real-time as you type in a set of contact information.
- by Tantek Çelik
hKit Microformats Toolkit for PHP5
- by Ryan King
iChat buddy list to hCards
- iChat buddy list to hCards - open source AppleScript to automatically convert one's buddy list in the MacOSX iChat AIM client into a valid XHTML 1.0 Strict list of hCards.
- by Tantek Çelik
- Karova announced support for microformats in their shopping cart library
- (anybody know what specific microformats that Karova supports?)
Laughing Squid Calendar
- Microformat Base
- by Scott Reynen
Microformat Parser for Ruby
- Microformat Parser for Ruby
- by Assaf Arkin
- rfc2629.xslt now attempts to generate hCard information (RFC2629 in an XML format for authoring RFCs and Internet Drafts, see example document)
Technorati Contacts Feed Service
Technorati Events Feed Service
- Technorati Events Feed Service is a deployment of X2V to convert hCalendar events to iCalendar (.ics) format.
Technorati Microformats Search
- Technorati Microformats Search. Search for contacts (hCard), events (hCalendar), or reviews (hReview) published on blogs and other web sites.
- Technorati Search supports and handles both Vote Links and rel="nofollow" for indicating whether a link should have any/positive/negative weighting towards the destination.
- Technorati Tags pages aggregate blog posts tagged with the rel="tag" open tagging standard, in addition to recent tagged photos and links.
- Textpattern Microformats Plugin supports authoring hCard, hCalendar, hReview, XFN, rel="tag", rel="license" in the Textpattern CMS/blogging tool
- Upcoming.org - hCalendar support in events listings and individual events.
- by Andy Baio, Leonard Lin, Gordon Luk
- WordPress supports XFN blogrolls through a very nice built-in user interface. (cf. XFN Implementations)
- by Matt Mullenweg and friends
- brian suda has created several XSLT files to extract microformats from HTML. From that the X2V webservice/favelet emerged. The XSLT and favelet extracts hCard and to produces .vcf (vCard) files and hCalendar to produce .ics (iCal) files. Also in the labs is a universal XMDP validator and a site-wide search spider that recognizes 'no-follow', 'license' and other microformats so they can be used in a more semantic way when displaying search results.
Yahoo Creative Commons Search
- Yahoo Creative Commons Search - supports rel="license" specifically to search for Creative Commons licensed content.
Yahoo UK Movies
Companies / Developers / Organizations
(Considering moving all of these to an implementors page of its own).
Thanks to all of the hardworking developers and innovative companies and organizations for supporting microformats.
This is an alphabetical listing of all companies, developers (by last name) and organizations who have built and shipped at least one implementation (see above for details of each implementation) that users can use.
Please help complete this list! If you have coded support for microformats and don't see your name, add it! If your company supports microformats in its applications, add it!
Nature Publishing Group
- Technorati Contacts Feed Service
- Technorati Events Feed Service
- Technorati Microformats Search
- Technorati Search
- Technorati Tags
Additional static/read-only sites which enhanced their content with microformats.
Flock About Page
Iowa Military Veterans Band
Nature Publishing Group
Nature Publishing Group are steadily rolling out microformats across their sites and titles. Current implementations include:
- Nature homepage, uses XOXO 1.0: Extensible Open XHTML Outlines.
- Nature Network Boston, a social networking community for scientists, which uses rel-tag, hCard for user profiles and hCalendar for marking up events across the site.
- Nature Protocols, a forum for scientists to upload and comment on protocols, uses hCard and XOXO 1.0: Extensible Open XHTML Outlines.
Sunnyvale House Concerts
Technorati About Page
- Technorati publishes its own contact information as hCards: About page lists their Media Contact, and their Press page also lists their Press Contact, both as inline hCards.
University of Bath
- Web Essentials - supports hCard and hCalendar, e.g. in their list of presenters and program schedule.
Some notes on initial thoughts around Guidelines and Strategies for Implementing Microformats