Twitter (or Jaiku) picoformats proposal
(old name was twitter nanoformats)
- Nanoformats try to extend twitter capabilities to give more utility to the tool.
- Nanoformats try to give more semantic information to the twitter post for better filtering.
- Nanoformats try to use commonly used (or semi-standard) parameters like microformats
- Nanoformats are better if more people use it, spread the word.
- Nanoformats are even better if you combine.
- Nanoformats are extensible, customizable, mashable...
Start Wiki of the project
Some apps supporting some kind of nanoformat
- Twitter: @username for replies
- Tagzania: L: to share with you twitter friends the place where you are.
- Twittermap: L: to show your location (not standarized way)
- New! translate your twitter feed into different languages using lang: nanoformat. Personalize it cloning this yahoo pipe (JP->EN yahoo pipe)
- Twitter Nanoformats bot (add to your friends and use nanoformats) for experiments!
- Example web app showing tag: and event: nanoformats
* @username o Use to mention a user. o Example: @mike I agree with you o Syntax: @<twitter username> o Tools: @yourusername filter pipe
* lang: o Use to define the language of the post. o Example: this is a post in English lang:en o Syntax: lang:<iso639-1 code> + info: code list iso639-1 o Tools: lang filter pipe * tag: o Use for tag post. o Example: My cat is stupid tag:cat tag:stupid o Syntax: tag:<tag> o Tools: tag filter pipe * L: o Use to define a location o Example: Good place to visit L: Place Georges Pompidou, Paris, France o Example2: Good place to visit L: Place Georges Pompidou, Paris, 75004 o Example3: Good place to visit L:48.860500,2.352260 o Text Syntax: L:<Addres, city or town, region> or L:<Address, city or town, postal code> o Geo Syntax: L:<lat,long> + info: (Section 3.4.2 of RFC2426) o Tools: location filter pipe * todo: o Use to define something to do (or for someone combined with @username). o Example: todo:go to buy chocolate o Syntax: todo:<to do info> o Tools: todo filter pipe * event: o Use to define an event (better combined with L:). o Example: event:Conference or event:http://www.web2summit.com/pub/w/40/coverage.html/ o Syntax: event:<event name> or event:<http://eventurl... > o Tools: event filter pipe * enclosure: [play:(deprecated)] o Used to mark a link to playable media. o Example: enclosure: http://media.mfdz.com/track/7.mp3 o Syntax: enclosure:<http://mediaurl... > * time: o Used to define a time (usually with event). o Example: time:2006-06-30 21:00:00 o Syntax: to define (can change)
* rate: o Use to rate something between 1-5. o Example: rate:1:Epic movie or rate:5:http://www.twitter.com/ o Syntax: rate:<1-5>:<rated subject> o Tools: rate filter pipe * vote: o Use to vote (for, against, abstain). o Example: vote:against:Irak war or vote:for:Peace o Syntax: vote:<for,against,abstain>:<voted subject> o Tools: vote filter pipe
Using more than one nanoformat in the same post
If you want to use more than one nanoformat in the same twit. You have to use at the end of the twit.
- Example: great party event:beach party L:Ondarreta beach, Donostia time:2007-06-23 22:00.
- Generic example: <message> <nanoformats one each other>
- Exception: @username. You have to use at the start of the twit.
- Example: @teketen I disagree with you!
- Generic example: @username <message> <nanoformats one each other>
Don't use more than one nanoformat of the same type in the same twit
Is not a good idea use the same type nanoformat in the same twit. Twits can be a good unit to convert the information given in a twit into other formats for that reason only the things that have meaning together are interesting. If you want to explain more than one thing you should use an other twit to do that.
- Wrong example: we go there tonight event:party event:home party
- Example: great party event:beach party L:Ondarreta beach, Donostia
- Exception: tag: nanoformat. You can use more than one in the same twit.
- Example: Summer night in Andoain http://tinyurl.com/2l6j8z L:Andoain, Gipuzkoa tag:summer tag:night
- Generic Example: <message> <other nanoformats one each other> <tag:>*
TekeTen 08:54, 23 Jul 2007 (PDT)