The realestate_propertydetail page is an exploratory discussion on developing a microformat that could be used in conjunction with adr, hListing, geo, and maybe others, to provide a consistent format for real estate property listings.
One of my ultimate goals is to not only be able to provide a consistent industry specific format or collection of existing formats, but to also begin attaching data to properties in a way that has never been done before. So for instance, if a Realtor has a listing for sale and they post the listing and photos of the listing with geo data, that that information can be cataloged forever with the property. Then over time homeowners, home buyers, property assessors, etc. can look at snapshots of the same property over time and visually see upgrades, deterioration, etc.
- Brian Fidler
- Brian Fidler
First we need to identify the property attributes that are common in all MLS systems and then see which of these attributes can be satified by using an existing microformat. For instance number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, fireplace y/n, if y then how many fireplaces, etc. As we define the common attributes and the microformats that satisfy them we can start building the framework. When we run into situations or data where there is no existing satisfactory microformat, we can discuss creating the best approach to satisfying those specific instances.
Property Related Formats
This section is to identify any compatible microformats (i.e. hListing, adr, geo) and list them out.
- hListing to put the property in a listing format
- adr to identify the address of the property
- Geo to identify the geographic coordinates for mapping purposes
- hReview 0.4 (in progress) to allow the Realtor to put a description of the property and maybe open it up so that other Realtors/home buyers can also add their reviews of the property
- rel="tag" to add property specific searchable information (i.e. fireplace)
- hCalendar 1.0 for adding specific dates to a property (i.e. open house on November 13, 2007)
Is there a format for...
Here we can brainstorm ideas on how to use different formats to further the end goal. Since we may not be familiar with every existing microformat, list what you think would be useful and then if someone knows of a microformat that satisfies that need we can add it to the above list and delete it from this list.
- photo or photo gallery (a Realtor could upload one or more photos of a property with geo data associated too)