To Do

(Difference between revisions)

Jump to: navigation, search
m (hCard: Added PHP vcard parser)
Current revision (00:53, 31 December 2018) (view source)
(Website Improvements: yes we should have HTTPS - moving to admin-to-do)
 
(369 intermediate revisions not shown.)
Line 1: Line 1:
-
= To Do =
+
<entry-title>To Do</entry-title>
 +
__TOC__
 +
This page is for posting [[microformats]] related shared to do items.  If you want to use this page for your microformats related to-do items, create a section with your name on it.  The reason we are keeping these all on the same page is to make it easier to tell when people are working on similar things, and to make it more obvious when people help out with other people's tasks.  In theory this probably won't scale, but let's first see how it does in practice. :) - [http://tantek.com Tantek]
-
This page is for posting [[microformats]] related shared to do items.  If you want to use this page for your microformats related to-do items, create a section with your name on it.  The reason we are keeping these all on the same page is to make it easier to tell when people are working on similar things, and to make it more obvious when people help out with other people's tasks.  In theory this probably won't scale, but let's first see how it does in practice. :) - [http://tantek.com/log/ Tantek]
+
== microformats2 updates ==
 +
The following pages need to be updated to for microformats2 (typically code, examples, and any specific format advice)
 +
* [[what-are-microformats]]
 +
* [[introduction]]
 +
* [[get-started]]
 +
* [[faq]]
 +
* [[hcard-authoring]] -> [[h-card-authoring]]
 +
* [[hcard-examples]] -> [[h-card-examples]]
 +
* [[advocacy]]
 +
* ...
 +
== wiki gardening ==
-
== Lazyweb ==
+
=== trim fixups ===
 +
Search for all uses of "tr.im" for shortlinks and replace them with "ufs.cc/w/" links that just use the pagename.
 +
 
 +
* [http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amicroformats.org+tr.im Google search for site:microformats.org tr.im]
 +
 
 +
In particular, let's document old tr.im links and (unlinked) and where they used to link to so that if someone *searches* for tr.im URLs to figure out what happened to them, there's a chance they'll find the equivalent.
 +
 
 +
* [[tr.im]]
 +
 
 +
=== simplify pages ===
 +
Review pages, from the [[Main Page]] on down and:
 +
 
 +
* Simplify/minimize the content in the pages with direct writing, assuming an eager(impatient,positive) reader in the primary reading flow.
 +
* Move (keep) clarifications/details/documentation for edge case people (i.e. deliberate misinterpreters, sarcastic skeptics, pedants etc.) to details further down in a page (or on subpages) rather than in the primary reading flow.
 +
 
 +
Examples of simplified pages:
 +
* [[Main Page]] - simplified quite a bit (2012-04-02), but could probably use additional simplification
 +
* ...
 +
 
 +
Pages to simplify:
 +
* [[how-to-play]] (should probably be done by an admin, but left here in case someone wants to try drafting a revision on another page and have an admin review it)
 +
* pages listed in [[stable-pages]] (simplifying these first will help with better translations)
 +
** for specifications, please work with their editor(s) on non-trivial content copy edits.
 +
 
 +
=== remove broken URLs ===
 +
 
 +
There's lots of links to sites that are now gone (see [http://indiewebcamp.com/site-deaths site-deaths] on IWC for a full list).
 +
 
 +
It'd be useful if we replaced them where possible with links to archive.org or equivalent.
 +
 
 +
TODO (mark as done when done):
 +
 
 +
* [[Upcoming]]
 +
* code.google.com
 +
 
 +
=== incorporate things expected to break ===
 +
==== shortlink spec ====
 +
The rel=shortlink spec:
 +
* https://code.google.com/p/shortlink/wiki/Specification
 +
is going to die soon as part of Google Code's shutdown.
 +
 
 +
1. We should copy that spec (along with FAQ for the first few valid questions/comments) to [[rel-shortlink]], moving existing contents there to supplementary pages or purely historical record.
 +
 +
2. Get http://purl.org/net/shortlink to redirect to [[rel-shortlink]] instead.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== more documentation and research ==
 +
=== extract from 1989 timbl proposal ===
 +
* extra all specific problems and use-cases mentioned in http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html
 +
* write them up as their own wiki pages, one per specific problem/use-case
 +
* see if they're solvable with modern [[microformats2]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== microformats specific ==
Just some nice things, feel free to do any of these.
Just some nice things, feel free to do any of these.
=== for all microformats ===
=== for all microformats ===
-
* quick and easy "how to" pages for each microformat. [[use]] is a good overall start.
+
* quick and easy "how to" pages for each microformat. [[get-started]] is a good overall start.
* brief summary statements for each microformat that explain why it matters, what does it accomplish for the publisher.
* brief summary statements for each microformat that explain why it matters, what does it accomplish for the publisher.
-
 
+
* write up [http://microformats.org/discuss/ mailing-list] questions and answers in the appropriate [[faq]] pages.
-
=== hReview ===
+
* validators. See the hReview section below as there has been a request for an hReview validator in particular. See [http://norman.walsh.name/2006/04/13/validatingMicroformats Norman Walsh's blog post "Validating microformats"] for some valuable analysis and validation pseudo-code (prose description), which are useful steps towards building microformat validators.
-
* an [[hreview|hReview]] validator
+
* Submit definitions of "microformat", and individual examples, to the [http://foldoc.org Free On-line Dictionary of Computing], acording to [http://foldoc.org/editing.html the Free On-line Dictionary of Computing guidelines]
-
* a semantic, clean css star rating picker (e.g. a UI widget to rate from 1-5 stars)
+
* it would be nice to replace the -in-the-wild pages with a form that accepted URL entries that would both register the site and look for valid microformatted content and for those pages with problems, would set them aside in a queue to be reviewed by the community. Having such an interface would likely be more efficient for implementors looking to have their work reviewed, and would also add to a ready-database of microformats in the wild -- which would be a great way to feed pingerati.com. [[User:Chris_Messina Chris Messina]] on 2007 Aug 31.
-
** both [http://komodomedia.com/blog/index.php/2005/08/24/creating-a-star-rater-using-css/ this] and [http://factorycity.net/demos/drupal/rating/default.html this] have some flaws. Ask [[User:RyanKing|Ryan King]] for an explanation.
+
* check with the group and then, assuming this is accepted, remove mention of the profile="" attribute from the wiki, since HTML5 removes the need for profiles to be declared
=== hCard ===
=== hCard ===
* microformatted versions of conference pages
* microformatted versions of conference pages
-
** Do a revision of the [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etel2006/ ETel] [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/44/speakers.html speaker's page] with all the speakers marked up with [[hcard|hCard]] and links to "Add hCards to Address Book" etc., similar to the [http://tantek.com/microformats/2005/web2/speakers.html Web 2.0 speakers page which Tantek did a revision of last fall].
+
** Wait for confirmation from O'Reilly webmaster on revision of the [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etel2006/ ETel] [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/44/speakers.html speaker's page] with all the speakers marked up with [[hcard|hCard]] and links to "Add hCards to Address Book" etc., similar to the [http://tantek.com/microformats/2005/web2/speakers.html Web 2.0 speakers page which Tantek did a revision of last fall].
* vcard to hcard converter
* vcard to hcard converter
-
** would be nice to have a web upload UI that would take one or more vcards from apple's address book and give them back to you hcards
+
** would be nice to have a web upload UI that would take one or more vCards from apple's address book and give them back to you as hCards
** [[User:RobertBachmann | RobertBachmann]] suggests starting points:
** [[User:RobertBachmann | RobertBachmann]] suggests starting points:
*** For Ruby: http://vpim.rubyforge.org/  
*** For Ruby: http://vpim.rubyforge.org/  
Line 27: Line 92:
*** For Python: http://www.nongnu.org/python-pdi/
*** For Python: http://www.nongnu.org/python-pdi/
*** For PHP: http://pear.php.net/package/Contact_Vcard_Parse/
*** For PHP: http://pear.php.net/package/Contact_Vcard_Parse/
 +
** I (Andy Pemberton) started working on this at one point, but haven't touched it in a while: [http://www.andypemberton.com/sandbox/hcardconvert/ vCard-2-hCard]
 +
* add export support for microformats to [http://www.turingart.com/abForWeb_lan__en.htm AB to Web]
 +
* A mash-up with google maps that will take any url with a hcard (or hcard's) and map the location(s) on a map (similar to [http://austin.adactio.com/ austin.adactio.com])
 +
* more test cases - add to [[hcard-examples]] to begin with, then hopefully create test cases for development to be checked in with mercurial to the repository
 +
** include class="type" without explicit value test cases, based on [[hcard#type_with_unspecified_value|hCard type with unspecified value]].
 +
 +
=== hCalendar ===
 +
==== Add support to open source calendar projects ====
 +
These are open source projects that could be potentially enhanced to support hCalendar.
 +
 +
* [http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php?topic=About WebCalendar]
 +
* [http://phpicalendar.net/documentation/index.php?title=Main_Page PHP iCalendar]
 +
* [http://www.vcalendar.org VCalendar]
 +
* Investigation: [http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar_Talk:Lightning#hCalendar_publish_and_subscribe_support Mozilla Calendar / Lightning / Sunbird hCalendar support discussion]
 +
 +
=== hReview ===
 +
* [[hreview|hReview]] support in Ecto (hey Adriaan!), requested by Andy Smith
 +
* an [[hreview|hReview]] validator.
 +
* a semantic, clean css star rating picker (e.g. a UI widget to rate from 1-5 stars)
 +
** both [http://komodomedia.com/blog/index.php/2005/08/24/creating-a-star-rater-using-css/ this] and [http://factorycity.net/demos/drupal/rating/default.html this] have some flaws. Ask [[User:RyanKing|Ryan King]] for an explanation.
 +
 +
=== hCalendar/hCard/hReview editor ===
 +
* onblur in the URL field (e.g. on hCalendar), goes out and tries to retrieve an object of same time (e.g. an hCalendar vevent) from that URL and uses it to autofill the form, same thing if the creator is loaded with that URL prefilled (e.g. due to a ?url=http://example.com/ in the URL that loads the creator).
 +
 +
=== hAtom ===
 +
* [[hatom-issues]] needs sections for closed issues, resolved issues, and open issues sorted by year, similar to [[hcard-issues]].
 +
 +
=== WordPress patches for microformats ===
 +
* submit patches for WordPress code/templates for microformats improvement
 +
** &lt;address class="vcard"&gt; improvement in post author publication (e.g. home page of http://microformats.org/ )
 +
* Wordpress plugin for microformats, specifically hReview and hCalendar
 +
** See [http://www.surfarama.com/index.php?p=227 lazyweb request]
 +
 +
=== Yahoo Open Source Library Patches ===
 +
Several of these could very much be improved with a little microformats markup.  Do we just make patches and submit them?  Contact Nate Koechley at Yahoo (see Tantek for contact info) to follow-up.
 +
 +
* [http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/ Yahoo! User Interface Library]
 +
* [http://developer.yahoo.net/ypatterns/ Yahoo! Design Patterns Library]
 +
* [http://www.yuiblog.com Yahoo! User Interface Blog]
 +
 +
=== Drupal patches for microformats ===
 +
* [http://groups.drupal.org/microformats-in-drupal Microformat Module for Drupal] A group discussing ways to implement microformats in Drupal.  Currently looking to support hAtom, hCard and hCalendar to start with.  Contact digitalspaghetti at gmail dot com if you are interested in contributing to the project.
 +
 +
=== Adding Microformats to Existing Pages ===
 +
* See [[advocacy#Adding_Microformats_to_Existing_Sites|advocacy: Adding microformats to existing sites]].
 +
 +
===rel-tagging on Wikipedia===
 +
Somebody familiar with the "rel-tag" microformat might want to add details, and a link to the relevant page on this Wiki, to the [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_%28metadata%29 Wikipedia page on tagging]. [[User:AndyMabbett|Andy Mabbett]] 14:07, 3 Jan 2007 (PST)
 +
 +
===Glossary===
 +
Add to the [[glossary]].
 +
 +
===hAtom tutorial===
 +
Finish the [[hatom-tutorial]].
 +
 +
=== wiki gardening ===
 +
* Find [[:Special:Lonelypages|orphaned]] pages, and add links to them.
 +
* Use [[templates]] for boilerplate text and repeated lists of links
 +
* Add keywords to the foot of pages (see [[vcard-suggestions]] for examples), so that they can be converted to tags, once this wiki allows the use of "rel" attributes. Keywords can also include synonyms to aid searching.
 +
 +
====Spelling====
 +
Per [[how-to-play]]: for English-language pages only: Find British spellings of common words and replace them with the US spellings per [[en-US]]. Mark such edits as "minor" with the comment: <nowiki>[[en-US]]</nowiki>. Please be careful to use and maintain proper native spelling of proper nouns (see [[how-to-play]] for details).
 +
 +
Here is a table of searches for some of the British-English spellings that have crept into English-language microformats wiki pages, along with their respective US-English spellings. If you find other British spellings, please feel free to add them to this table, with their US equivalent.
 +
 +
{| border="1"
 +
|+
 +
! [[en-GB]] !! [[en-US]]
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=behaviour&go=Go behaviour] || behavior
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=behaviours&go=Go behaviours] || behaviors
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=centre&go=Go centre] || center
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=colour&go=Go colour] || color
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=colours&go=Go colours] || colors
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=favour&go=Go favour] || favor
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=flavour&go=Go flavour] || flavor
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=flavours&go=Go flavours] || flavors
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=flavoured&go=Go flavoured] || flavored
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=minimise&go=Go minimise] || minimize
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=minimises&go=Go minimises] || minimizes
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=recognise&go=Go recognise] || recognize
 +
|-
 +
| [http://microformats.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=recognised&go=Go recognised] || recognized
 +
|-
 +
|}
 +
 +
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences More American and British English spelling differences]
 +
 +
== Admins ==
 +
This section is for folks to suggest to-do items for [[admins]], in particular, having to do with suggestions for improvements to microformats.org infrastructure such as the wiki. If you do add an item to this list, please sign your username with four tildes: <nowiki>~~~~</nowiki>.
 +
 +
Admins check this "inbox" periodically and process and move items to [[admin-to-do]].
 +
 +
Please check [[admin-to-do]] to see if there is already an ongoing task item relating to your request. Otherwise add the item below.
 +
 +
=== Website Improvements ===
 +
* ...
 +
 +
=== Wiki improvements ===
 +
 +
* Want: Right-to-left (RTL) support in the theme for better translating to RTL languages. Per [https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150109554926465&id=214611 this comment on the microformats page on Facebook 2011-02-13]: <blockquote><cite>Sina Cheraghi</cite> &gt; Microformats <br> "I want to contribute in Microformats wiki by translating it into Persian. But lack of RTL (right-to-left) languages (Persian, Arabic, Hebrew and ...) theme causes some problems for me and other contributors."</blockquote>
 +
 +
* Make email addresses editable [[User:Singpolyma|Singpolyma]] 02:47, 26 July 2009 (UTC)
 +
** How would this work and what's the purpose? [[User:Tantek|Tantek]] 02:39, 10 September 2009 (UTC)
== Tantek ==
== Tantek ==
 +
I'm keeping microformats related to-do items here both for my own convenience, and for folks looking to help out. - [http://tantek.com Tantek].
-
I'm keeping a few microformats related to-do items here both for my own convenience, and for folks looking to help out with small tasks.  If so, just create a new section with your name, and and maybe copy the item there, and put your name next to the item in my list. We'll figure this out as we go along. Thanks, [http://tantek.com/log/ Tantek].
+
=== overall priority ordering ===
 +
# Protect the community from threats (wiki damage, mailing list pain or noise), repair damage, add measures to reduce future damage
 +
# Update [[microformats2-parsing]] with resolved [[microformats2-parsing-issues]]
 +
# Help implementers with established microformats
 +
# Iterate on existing established microformats, resolve issues/feedback etc.
 +
# Wiki cleanup/gardening for existing established microformats
 +
# Site usability of microformats.org top-down as an entry point
 +
# Community dynamics, [[process]] and [[principles]] improvements to help guide new microformats developments
 +
# Wrap up classic microformats documentation
 +
# Document microformats [[history]].
 +
# Other
-
=== iterate on current microformats ===
+
=== protect the community ===
-
==== [[hreview|hReview]] ====
+
* Analyze [[Special:Recentchanges]] and [http://microformats.org/discuss mailing-lists] and:
-
* Write hReview 0.3 draft and get it finalized (actively working on it!)
+
** add to [[mailing-lists]] and [[how-to-play]] policies/guidelines accordingly.
-
==== [[hcalendar|hCalendar]] ====
+
** redirect and resolve threads accordingly per guidelines
-
* create [[hcalendar-profile]] and have folks verify it.
+
** privately email violaters kindly asking them to improve their behavior
-
* add explicit explanation and examples for LOCATION [[hcard|hCards]] and ATTENDEE [[hcard|hCards]], perhaps on a separate [[hcalendar-examples]] page.
+
** work with admins on next steps for individuals negatively impacting the community
-
* need examples of multi-instance [[hcalendar|hCalendar]] events
+
** recognize noisy/distracting threads on the email list, document responses/answers to such subjects on the appropriate page(s) on the wiki, and reply to those threads with the URLs to the documentation on the wiki. Putting the responses/answers on the wiki helps by hopefully providing preemptive answers to some who might reraise the subjects on the list in the future, and helps the community quickly terminate such threads by using the answers on the wiki.
-
* of repeating events
+
** move exploratory discussions which are failing to follow the process to a separate page from that
-
==== [[hcard|hCard]] ====
+
** repair damage done to the wiki
-
* [[hcard-examples]]
+
*** identify damage done to the wiki - often in forms as simple as content changes that hurt usability (and thus accessibility)
-
** add examples of [[hcard|hCard]]s with work telephone, mailing address etc.
+
*** document additional [[how-to-play]] guidelines to discourage and hopefully reduce such wiki damaging behavior in the future
-
** add examples of marking up an organization vs. a person, then link to it from [http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Organization_Contact_Info hCard spec section on Organization Contact Info].
+
*** repair/undo/reorganize page section division that hurt usability (and thus accessibility)
-
** add example of organization-name and organization-unit usage.
+
**** [[hcalendar-examples-in-wild]]
-
* more examples in the wild
+
***** afterwards add some of the excellent conference schedule calendars that [[User:Adactio]] has been creating like:
-
** help dglazkov markup: http://glazkov.com/blog/archive/2003/12/17/147.aspx
+
****** http://adactio.com/extras/schedules/barcampbrighton3/
 +
*** repair/undo/reorganize page splitting that hurt usability (and thus accessibility)
 +
**** [[to-do]]
-
=== introduction / community ===
+
=== update microformats2-parsing with resolved issues ===
-
* microformats-discuss
+
Update [[microformats2-parsing]] with resolved [[microformats2-parsing-issues]]
-
** introductory email sent to new subscribers needs to direct people to [[process]] and [[how-to-play]]
+
 +
=== help implementers ===
 +
Update all these tasks for [[microformats2]]:
 +
 +
* wordpress improvements
 +
** WP admin for new profiles
 +
*** should simply read blog URL - '''next-action''': make sure a bug/feature request is filed with wordpress.org
 +
*** look for hCards and parse them
 +
 +
* [http://gmpg.org/xfn/creator XFN Creator] localizations
 +
** Get someone to verify the [http://gmpg.org/xfn/creator-ru XFN Creator Russian localization].
 +
** Add it to the [http://gmpg.org/xfn/tools XFN Tools] page.
 +
** Add rel="alternate" href="creator-ru" &lt;link&gt;s to the other XFN Creators.
 +
 +
* Conference Schedule Creator
 +
** '''next-actions''': Review Dmitry Baranovskiy's [http://dmitry.baranovskiy.com/work/csc/ Conference Schedule Creator] and give him feedback per how well it:
 +
*** Makes it *trivial* for conference organizers to build/edit/publish an [[hcalendar|hCalendar]] schedule for their conference, including auto-generated "Subscribe..." link which produces the proper "webcal:..." link with X2V.  Note: see the "axis" and "header" attributes in HTML4, specifically in the section on Tables.
 +
 +
=== wiki cleanup ===
 +
Update all these tasks for [[microformats2]]:
 +
 +
==== for all microformat specs ====
 +
'''Next-actions''':
 +
* modularize any specs which are > 30K in order to avoid loss/corruption like [http://microformats.org/wiki?title=Special:Contributions&target=Evan Evan's 14 June edits] to [[hcard|hCard]], [[rel-tag]], and [[xoxo|XOXO]].
 +
** [[hcard|hCard]] -
 +
*** [[hcard-examples-in-the-wild]] group/sort by individuals,  organizations, and hosting sites. Consider moving largest subsection to its own page as well.
 +
** [[rel-tag]]
 +
** [[xoxo]]
 +
 +
==== update specification section organization ====
 +
'''Goal''': greater approachability/readability of microformats specs by a broader audience.
 +
 +
Reference:
 +
* [[hresume|hResume]] has an experimental abbreviated intro/headers section, and links to more details further below, based on some ideas that Ryan King and I had for improving the readability of the microformats specifications.
 +
* [[hreview|hReview]] has some similar improvements, but different.
 +
* [[hcard|hCard]] has numerous improvements as well, again different from either hResume or hReview
 +
 +
'''Next-actions''':
 +
# contact microformats community members who are content/tutorial authors, and/or have written (or are writing) technical books, and those who have made concrete helpful suggestions for reorganizing the information architecture / content-order / layout of specs.
 +
# figure out if the new intro/headers etc. structure/order in [[hcard|hCard]], [[hreview|hReview]], and [[hresume|hResume]]  is an improvement, and if it could be better.  Document reasoning/requirements for intro/header and other sections.
 +
#* Shorter tends to be better
 +
#* Must be comprehensive enough to "print and read"
 +
#* Must detail authorship/editorship
 +
#* Must detail copyright/patent statements
 +
# Design an iterative update to spec organization, in particular, the introduction/boilerplate/headers.
 +
# Write up a template - make it self-documenting per the requirements
 +
# Update existing specifications with the new intro/headers structure.
 +
## [[hcard|hCard]]
 +
## [[hcalendar|hCalendar]]
 +
## [[hreview|hReview]]
 +
# Write up methodology behind the section organization and note editors lessons learned into an [[editors-guide]] page (what other variants were done before, in which specs, and note problems/complaints with other variants).
 +
 +
==== reorganizing Implementations sections ====
 +
* sort implementations by authoring/creating/publishing, browsing/viewing, converting/importing, indexing/searching.
 +
 +
Hmmm... I like: '''A'''uthoring, '''B'''rowsing, '''C'''onverting, '''I'''ndexing, '''L'''ibraries (for developers), and '''P'''otential (for open source projects we want to add support to).  Anybody have alternative suggestions for this vocabulary?  I don't have a particularly strong preference so I'm going to go with these four until I find examples that don't fit, or someone suggests something better.
 +
 +
See: [http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar#Implementations hCalendar Implementations] for a first attempt at this.  Assuming folks like that, we can go ahead with categorizing the implementations sections of other microformats specifications.
 +
 +
'''Next-actions''':
 +
* [[hcard-implementations]] - re-organize by same subsections as [[hcalendar-implementations]].
 +
* [[hreview-implementations]] - re-organize by same subsections as [[hcalendar-implementations]].
 +
* [[hatom-implementations]] - re-organize by same subsections as [[hcalendar-implementations]].
 +
* [[xfolk-implementations]] - re-organize by same subsections as [[hcalendar-implementations]].
 +
 +
==== reorg Examples in the Wild sections ====
 +
Work with community to:
 +
* include more *key* details per example, e.g. precise or estimates of counts for services
 +
* collate/sort examples in the wild by
 +
** hosting services - where users/people actively contribute to the growth (e.g. Flickr profile hCards)
 +
** publishing services - where lots of data is published from some datasource/database (e.g. Yahoo! Local)
 +
** companies/groups/organizations member pages (and their own) - pages for a group's site where they list members or employees (e.g. Technorati staff page)
 +
** individiual companies/organizations contact info pages
 +
** individual people's contact info pages
 +
* of course at some point this won't scale, but that will be a very good problem to have, and by then I'm sure we'll have services to point to that provide queries and search results for all this data.
 +
 +
=== site usability ===
 +
Update all these tasks for [[microformats2]]:
 +
 +
* figure out how to get wordpress to autopost blog posts to the microformats-announce list
 +
** ideally use the from address of the author of the blog post
 +
** maybe photomatt knows how to do this.
 +
 +
=== introduction / community ===
 +
Update all these tasks for [[microformats2]]:
 +
* microformats-discuss *
 +
** introductory email template for new subscribers needs to direct people to [[process]] and [[how-to-play]]
* Need to add more to the [[naming-principles]], to cover in particular:
* Need to add more to the [[naming-principles]], to cover in particular:
** avoid using the same name to mean two things
** avoid using the same name to mean two things
** avoid using two names to mean the same thing
** avoid using two names to mean the same thing
** seek to keep the microformats vocabulary minimal, memorable, and usable.
** seek to keep the microformats vocabulary minimal, memorable, and usable.
 +
* update and add details/simplifications to [[process]] given the past several months of experience. in particular:
 +
** clarify requirement (MUST rather than SHOULD) of *-examples, *-formats, before any *-brainstorming. 
 +
** Add details of encouragement to experiment with simple semantic class names from *-brainstorming proposals to gain real world experience with real world content.
 +
** note SHOULD prerequisite of use of all relevant microformats on real world web pages, along with documenting such use in respective "Examples in the Wild" sections, before proposing any new microformats.
-
=== profiles ===
+
==== posh improvement ====
 +
* Create a page to answer the question "[[how-should-i-markup]]"
 +
* consider creating a process/encouragement for collecting individual [[posh]] practices and examples, like a folksonomy of semantic HTML and semantic class names.
-
* update XMDP with new required features:
+
==== principles and process ====
 +
Create the following pages and document/fill them with content from other pages, email lists, and [[presentations]].
 +
* [[principles]] - mostly [[microformats#the_microformats_principles|documented in the microformats]] page.
 +
* clearer statement of both copyright and patents both in specific specs and in general
 +
* resolve [[process-issues]]
 +
 
 +
==== profiles ====
 +
* update [[XMDP]] with new required features:
** ability for one profile to include/import another (rel="import" ?)
** ability for one profile to include/import another (rel="import" ?)
** ability to reference an XMDP via rel="profile" (similar to XHTML2 rel value by same name)
** ability to reference an XMDP via rel="profile" (similar to XHTML2 rel value by same name)
 +
*** add rel="profile" to the [[xmdp-profile]].
** ability/suggestion to reference an XMDP using &lt;a href&gt; in addition to &lt;link&gt;
** ability/suggestion to reference an XMDP using &lt;a href&gt; in addition to &lt;link&gt;
-
=== microformat parsing documentation ===
+
==== community mark ====
-
* Add XPath equivalents where appropriate in [[hcard-parsing]]
+
* Can we make "microformat" and "microformats" into [http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2006/01/14/the-case-for-community-marks/ Community Marks]?
-
=== create microformats wiki pages for ===
+
==== document issue resolutions ====
-
* microformats [[history]]
+
* Prefixing has already been considered and rejected for microformats in general.  Note [[naming-conventions]], limited vocabulary, and exceptions made for [[hatom|hAtom]] and how we went about doing so.
-
** introduction of terms (when were microformats terms introduced, by whom, etc.)
+
-
** introduction of specs (when were microformats specifications first introduced)
+
-
*** use the history on Technorati's developer wiki for evidence of earliest dates.
+
-
*** use the [[presentations]] as a source as well.
+
-
=== improve usability and automation on the site ===
+
=== emerging microformats ===
-
* figure out how to get wordpress to autopost blog posts to the microformats-announce list
+
Update all these tasks for [[microformats2]]:
-
** ideally use the from address of the author of the blog post
+
-
** maybe photomatt knows how to do this.
+
-
=== help with microformat implementations ===
+
* [[directions]]
-
* [http://microformats.org/code/hcard/creator hCard creator] - add features/fields
+
* [[citation]]
-
** email
+
* [[hlisting|hListing]]
-
** aim / instant messaging contact info
+
* [[media-info]]
-
* wordpress improvements
+
* [[licensing]]
-
** WP admin for new profiles
+
'''Next-actions''' for each emerging microformat (one at a time)
-
*** should simply read blog URL
+
* review all microformats-email on the new microformat
-
*** look for hcards and parse them
+
* determine where new microformats is "stuck" in the process
-
* [http://gmpg.org/xfn/creator XFN Creator] localizations
+
* brainstorm about how to improve process (or documentation thereof) to get the effort unstuck
-
** Get someone to verify the [http://gmpg.org/xfn/creator-ru XFN Creator Russian localization].
+
* work with community to move the microformat forward through the process, iterating/clarifying the [[process]] as necessary
-
** Add it to the [http://gmpg.org/xfn/tools XFN Tools] page.
+
 
-
** Add rel="alternate" href="creator-ru" &lt;link&gt;s to the other XFN Creators.
+
=== new microformat requests ===
-
* Conference Schedule Creator
+
Update all these tasks for [[microformats2]]:
-
** We need to ASAP build a simple conference schedule creator (and editor?) that builds upon the hCalendar creator. We should make it *trivial* for conference organizers to build/edit/publish an [[hcalendar|hCalendar]] schedule for their conference, including auto-generated "Subscribe..." link which produces the proper "webcal:..." link with X2V.  Note: see the "axis" and "header" attributes in HTML4, specifically in the section on Tables.
+
-
=== help with new microformat requests ===
 
* expense reports (really just a list of "expense" items), [http://flickr.com/photos/edyson/56774178/ requested by ED], should look at UBL as a pre-existing format
* expense reports (really just a list of "expense" items), [http://flickr.com/photos/edyson/56774178/ requested by ED], should look at UBL as a pre-existing format
* photo-notes microformat
* photo-notes microformat
Line 101: Line 385:
** iterate on [[photo-note-examples]] and start [[photo-note-formats]] and [[photo-note-brainstorming]].
** iterate on [[photo-note-examples]] and start [[photo-note-formats]] and [[photo-note-brainstorming]].
-
* Can we make "microformat" and "microformats" into [http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2006/01/14/the-case-for-community-marks/ Community Marks]?
+
=== wrap up classic microformats documentation ===
 +
* use these tasks to come up with any necessary or useful equivalents for [[microformats2]] specifications and resources.
 +
 
 +
===== minor update current specifications =====
 +
* draft hCard 1.0.1: [[hcard|hCard spec]] '''next-actions''':
 +
** <del>resolve remaining [[hcard-issues|hCard issues]]</del>
 +
** close remaining [[hcard-issues-resolved|hCard resolved issues]] by writing necessary [[hcard-faq|FAQ]] entries, updating [[hCard]], and adding to [[hcard-brainstorming]] for 1.0.1 and 1.1.
 +
** draft [[hcard-1-0-1]] by starting with [[hcard-1-0]] and incorporating [[hcard-brainstorming]] targeted for 1.0.1.
 +
** incorporate [[hcard-feedback]]
 +
** continue updating the spec per the inline comment about property references
 +
** add a brief descriptive sentence for each property, similar to what [[hreview|hReview]] has. just enough so that the casual reader can avoid having to reference and read the respective sections in [[RFC2426]]. add any non-trivial information about each property similar to what [[hreview|hReview]] has.
 +
** iterate [[hcard-parsing]] with [[value-class-pattern]] as a required feature
 +
** iterate [[hcard-parsing]] with sufficient table element special handling to do people equivalent of [http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar- brainstorming#Tabular_event_calendars]
 +
** iterate [[hcard-parsing]] with how to handle new or different [[HTML5]] markup such as the <code>&lt;time&gt;</code> element, including at least one test case with the <code>&lt;time&gt;</code> element.
 +
** [[hcard-brainstorming]] '''next-actions''': determine which brainstorms proposals to resolve for minor revision, and which later
 +
** Update [[semantic-xhtml]] with lists of semantic [http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/elements.html elements] and [http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/attributes.html attributes].
 +
** Update [[hcard-brainstorming]] on element specific parsing rules
 +
** Update X2V, hKit, Operator accordingly
 +
** Write test cases accordingly
 +
** Update [[hcard-parsing]] accordingly
 +
* draft hCalendar 1.0.1: [[hcalendar|hCalendar spec]] '''next-actions''':
 +
** <del datetime="2009-10-03">resolve all outstanding [[hcalendar-issues]] into [[hcalendar-issues-resolved]]</del>
 +
** close remaining [[hcalendar-issues-resolved|hCalendar resolved issues]] by writing necessary [[hcalendar-faq|FAQ]] entries, updating [[hCalendar]], and adding to [[hcalendar-brainstorming]] for 1.0.1 and 1.1.
 +
** draft [[hcalendar-1-0-1]] by starting with [[hcalendar-1-0]] and incrementally incorporating [[hcalendar-brainstorming]] targeted for 1.0.1
 +
** incorporate [[hcalendar-feedback]]
 +
** itemize a complete property list similar to the [[hcard#Property_List|hCard property list]], drawing upon hCalendar experience, iCal-BASIC draft(s), ietf-calsify mailing list and other sources to derive the precise list.  Separate common properties up front.
 +
** add a brief descriptive sentence for each property, similar to what [[hreview|hReview]] has. just enough so that the casual reader can avoid having to reference and read the respective sections in [[RFC2445]]. add any non-trivial information about each property similar to what [[hreview|hReview]] has.
 +
** significantly update and thoroughly specify [[hcalendar-parsing]] with [[value-class-pattern]] as a required feature
 +
** formally document [http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar- brainstorming#Tabular_event_calendars]
 +
** iterate [[hcalendar-parsing]] with how to handle new or different [[HTML5]] markup such as the <code>&lt;time&gt;</code> element, including at least one test case with the <code>&lt;time&gt;</code> element.
 +
** [[hcalendar-examples]]
 +
*** make sure all hCalendar examples that reference whole days use best international/accessible date format of YYYY-MM-DD
 +
*** add explicit explanation and examples for LOCATION [[hcard|hCards]] and ATTENDEE [[hcard|hCards]], perhaps on a separate [[hcalendar-examples]] page.
 +
** Write [[compound-parsing]] by abstracting commonalities between [[hcard-parsing]] and [[hcalendar-parsing]].
 +
* draft hReview 0.4
 +
* resolve hAtom issues
 +
* co-edit hAtom per permission from David Janes
 +
* draft [[hAtom]] 0.2
 +
** Clarify that "published" property values may omit seconds, and that converters to Atom are expected to imply ":00" seconds.
 +
* add sections for comments/opinion from community as well as issues subsection
 +
* solicit feedback
 +
* when sufficient consensus and issue resolution achieved, archive previous versions of specs, and update spec pages accordingly.
 +
 
 +
==== social network portability ====
 +
Iterate on:
 +
* [[social-network-portability]]
 +
* [[hcard-supporting-user-profiles]]
 +
* [[hcard-xfn-supporting-friends-lists]]
 +
 
 +
Brainstorm updates to the [[pocket-cheat-sheet]] to better enable [[social-network-portability]], or perhaps design a new '''social network portability pocket cheat sheet''' that specifically documents:
 +
* how to author/publish hCard user profiles - write this up in [[hcard-authoring]] first (see below) and then use that content.
 +
* how to author/publish hCard+XFN friends lists - write this up in [[hcard-xfn-authoring]] (see below) and then use that content.
 +
* how to parse/subscribe to hCard user profiles - write this up by updating: [[hcard-parsing]], and writing [[hcard-supporting-user-profile-parsing]] (collect this into parsing/developers tasks below)
 +
* how to parse/subscribe to hCard+XFN friends lists - write this up by writing: [[xfn-parsing]], [[hcard-xfn-supporting-friends-list-parsing]] (collect these into parsing/developers tasks below)
 +
** notes/thoughts on hCard+XFN supporting friends list parsing captured here for now:
 +
*** do a full rel="me" bidirectional crawling within the domain - some sites' hCard supporting user profiles simply link to their hCard+XFN supporting friends lists with rel="me", and thus you will discover more pages with friends lists.
 +
**** E.g. Flickr's /people/username pages have hCard for the user and link to their /people/username/contacts page with rel="me" (on the "More..." link, though they could also add rel="me" to the number inside "Your contacts (592)"). Need to get them to support hCard+XFN on the contacts themselves.
 +
*** consider parsing within a friends list page, any links that are rel="next" and rel="prev" to iterate over the whole list.
 +
 
 +
==== foldup cheatsheet ====
 +
'''next actions''':
 +
* gather feedback on current foldup [[pocket-cheat-sheet|pocket cheatsheet]]
 +
* document the [[pocket-cheat-sheet-feedback|feedback on the pocket cheatsheet]]
 +
* provide printing recommendations for anyone to download and print their own
 +
** Perhaps [http://www.visibone.com/ Visibone] can be of some use? I can recommend their current products. --[[User:Gazza|Gazza]] 06:41, 7 Apr 2007 (PDT)
 +
* update cheatsheet to include new [[value-class-pattern]] uses
 +
* give feedback to Erin or ask for volunteers to create a new cheatsheet, iterate, print more to have on hand, fold, distribute.
 +
* discuss with [[User:Adactio]] and Hannah how to best create a UK/A4 version of the pocket cheatsheet
 +
** preferably well in advance of dConstruct 2008 so that local cheatsheets can be printed.
 +
 
 +
==== *-authoring microformats wiki pages ====
 +
* [[hcard-authoring]] - '''next-actions''': add tips/instructions noted below.
 +
** instructions for each property that is in [http://microformats.org/code/hcard/creator hCard creator] to begin with
 +
** instructions for all other hCard properties
 +
** a tutorial on creating an hCard for your site
 +
*** specific instructions for common blogging platforms
 +
** reference [[hcard-examples]] for more specific uses, and add to them accordingly
 +
*** add an extended example to [[hcard-examples#Authors_of_Pages_and_Posts|contact info for a page]] with postal address, phone numbers, email address.
 +
* [[hcard-xfn-authoring]] - '''next-action''': draft by starting from hCard+XFN instructions in [[hcard-examples]].
 +
* [[hreview-authoring]] - '''next-action''': create a first draft minimal tutorial on how to author hReviews (e.g. at least for common properties) to blog reviews so that they'll be aggregated.
 +
* [[hcalendar-authoring]] - '''next-action''': add tips/instructions for each property that is in [http://microformats.org/code/hcalendar/creator hCalendar creator].
 +
* *-authoring for other reasonably well established microformats:
 +
** [[xfolk-authoring]], [[hatom-authoring]]
 +
 
 +
==== help with microformat examples in the wild ====
 +
Using the above updated [[authoring]] pages, get the community to help go over all "common" pages (both logged out and logged in states) of the following sites which have some microformats already, and verify each page is as microformatted as it can be with high fidelity [[hcalendar|hCalendar]] and [[hcard|hCard]] etc.  Document full support of each implementation's microformats on the implementations page (perhaps create a separate page for each implementation, e.g. [[flickr]], [[upcoming]], [[eventful]] etc.) Document any exceptions as needed.  In no particular order:
 +
* Flickr.com (3.5m hCards)
 +
* Upcoming.org (100k hCalendar events, 100k hCard venues)
 +
** home page
 +
* Eventful.com (100k hCalendar events, 100k hCard venues)
 +
* Yahoo! Tech (300k products with hReviews)
 +
* JudysBook.com (???k hReviews)
 +
* ... lots more, get from "Implementations" and "Examples in the Wild" sections of specs.
 +
 
 +
==== advocacy for obvious sites ====
 +
* [[advocacy]] - add pages/sites that obviously (no pun intended) could use microformats, update them with sample markup, find contacts for those pages to get them updated, and send requests to update their sites with microformats including sample markup. '''next-actions''': markup both twitter.com sample pages and dodgeball.com sample pages, post the changes publicly, and see which one is able to update first ;)
 +
** dodgeball.com (hCard + XFN + hAtom for profiles, hCard + hReview for venues)
 +
** write essay on [[open-data-more-important-than-open-source]] - and a shorthand URL too.
 +
*** obviously doing both is ideal, however, open data is a higher priority and given limited resources, open data should be implemented before open source.
 +
*** open data &gt; open source
 +
*** "open information" vs "open source"
 +
*** i.e. please focus first on open data rather than open source, e.g. start with [[hcard|hCards]] for all organizations returned from http://wiserearth.org/organization
 +
*** if the data is open you can always export it and consume it in any number of open source systems
 +
*** that's why open data is MUCH more important than open source
 +
*** adding open data (e.g. microformats) can be done by any HTML author (yes, you), whereas open sourcing requires programming expertise, resouces, support. do the simpler easier thing first (open data thru microformats) that will benefit more people sooner.
 +
*** if the data was open, anyone could rebuild an accessible version
 +
*** faqs / misconceptions:
 +
**** eschipul: @tantek - creating microformats is easier. consuming microformats is unfortunately not easier.
 +
***** A: If you think consuming microformats is not easier or hard etc., it may just be that you don't know how to do so easily, don't assume that you are an expert in something that you think is hard.  Rather, if you think something is hard, then assume others may know easier methods, and ''ask''  the community how one can do it more easily.  parsing in particular is something which is becoming easier and easier thanks to open source libraries like [[hkit|hKit]].
 +
** write essay on [[open-data-more-important-than-open-apis]] - and a shorthand URL too
 +
*** obviously doing both is ideal, however, open data is a higher priority and given limited resources, open data should be implemented before open APIs.
 +
*** publishing/providing open data (e.g. microformats) can be done by any HTML author (yes, you), whereas providing/publishing open APIs requires programming expertise, resouces, and support. do the simpler easier thing first (open data thru microformats) that will benefit more people sooner.
 +
 
 +
==== in general ====
 +
===== plain language intros =====
 +
For [[hcard|hCard]], [[hcalendar|hCalendar]], [[hreview|hReview]], [[xoxo|XOXO]] to start with, write up:
 +
* brief plain-language intro at the top (say for example, something that a non-technical person like a member of the general media/press could read and understand), similar to or better than plain language intros on W3C specs.
 +
* followed by links to more plain-language resources, e.g. *-intro pages.
 +
In particular for [[xoxo|XOXO]], Angus McIntyre suggested:
 +
* As well as a syntactic example, examples of use would be useful.
 +
* when I might want to use XOXO.
 +
* Some simple examples right upfront would probably do a lot to help users figure out whether a particular microformat is for them or not.
 +
These suggestions could be incorporated into the other specs as well.
 +
===== exploratory discussions =====
 +
* update [[exploratory-discussions]] with critical microformats as "active"
 +
===== CSS enhancements for =====
 +
Analyze existing microformats for opportunities to enhance CSS and propose to W3C.
 +
* e.g. CSS datetime presentation (need to add links to my earlier work in CSS working group)
 +
* brainstorm additional possibilities for better presentation of content using existing microformats.
 +
===== update affiliations =====
 +
* Start a minimal draft/spec style guide using outline of most readable/accessible spec so far
 +
* Reference http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#Editors for how to manage affiliations
 +
* Update affiliations on [[hcard]], [[hcalendar]], [[hreview]], etc. per http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#Editors
 +
===== profile URLs =====
 +
* write-up and document [[profile-uris|profile URLs]] for all established microformats and perhaps for some drafts as well
 +
 
 +
==== [[hcard|hCard]] ====
 +
Combined next-actions for iteration on [[hcard|hCard]], and derived/subsetted microformats [[adr]] and [[geo]]
 +
* [[hcard-profile]] '''next-actions''':
 +
** update property definitions with more detail using semantics from [[RFC2426]]
 +
** link from brief sentence descriptions for each property in [[hCard]] to the respective more detailed definition in the [[hcard-profile]].
 +
** link from definitions in the [[hcard-profile]] to the specific sections in the vCard spec
 +
* [[hcard-examples]] '''next-actions''': update with examples described below
 +
** add examples of [[hcard|hCard]]s with work telephone, mailing address etc.
 +
** add examples of marking up an organization vs. a person, then link to it from [http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Organization_Contact_Info hCard spec section on Organization Contact Info].
 +
** add example of organization-name and organization-unit usage.
 +
* [[hcard-brainstorming]] '''next-actions''': explore brainstorms proposals for a 1.1 revision, e.g.
 +
** need property for gender (see [[hcard-faq#How_is_gender_represented|proposal in hCard FAQ]] and discussion in [[hcard-issues]]) - use tags for now, add to hCard creator
 +
** solve [[hcard-brainstorming#Auto-Discovery|autodiscovery]] of more canonical/thorough hCard
 +
* [[hcard-examples-in-wild]]
 +
** help dglazkov markup: http://glazkov.com/blog/archive/2003/12/17/147.aspx
 +
 
 +
* analyze [[hcard-cheatsheet]], [[adr-cheatsheet]], [[geo-cheatsheet]] for any assertions above and beyond what the specification itself says, take into account [[hcard-brainstorming]] along similar lines, and incorporate into the spec or remove as necessary and sync-up as a result.  add clarification on the cheatsheets that they are '''informative''' and reference the specification for normative requirements.
 +
 
 +
==== [[hcalendar|hCalendar]] ====
 +
'''Next-actions''':
 +
* update [[hcalendar-examples]]
 +
** add examples like [[hcard-examples]]
 +
** flesh out and do a once over on markup/presentation of what RFC2445 examples would look like
 +
** update all hcalendar-examples to use value-title from [[value-class-pattern]] where abbr doesn't make sense. e.g.
 +
*** rrule
 +
*** duration
 +
*** ... etc.
 +
* need spec details and then [[hcalendar-examples]] of multi-instance [[hcalendar|hCalendar]] events
 +
* need spec details and then [[hcalendar-examples]] of repeating events
 +
* have folks verify [[hcalendar-profile]]. Note that it will likely need reconciliation with the [[hcard-profile]], especially since [[hcalendar|hCalendar]] normatively depends on [[hcard|hCard]].  Probably makes sense to have a combined profile which hCalendar would use.
 +
* analyze [[hcalendar-cheatsheet]] for any assertions above and beyond what the specification itself says, take into account [[hcalendar-brainstorming]] along similar lines, and incorporate into the spec or remove as necessary and sync-up as a result.  add clarification on the cheatsheets that they are '''informative''' and reference the specification for normative requirements.
 +
 
 +
==== [[hreview|hReview]] ====
 +
'''Next-actions''':
 +
* reconcile [[hreview-profile|hReview 0.4 XMDP profile]] with [[hcalendar-profile]] and [[hcard-profile]].  Makes sense to have a combined profile of all three for hReview, since hReview normatively depends on hCard and hCalendar.
 +
* Resolve all outstanding [[hreview-issues]] and [[hreview-feedback]] to-do items.
 +
 
 +
==== [[rel-tag]] ====
 +
'''Next-actions''':
 +
* send [[rel-tag]] XMDP profile ([[rel-tag-profile]]) to [http://dbaron.org/ David Baron].
 +
* Resolve all outstanding [[rel-tag-issues]] and [[rel-tag-feedback]] to-do items.
 +
 
 +
==== [[rel-me]] ====
 +
'''Next-actions''':
 +
* move XFN and XMDP FAQs, tutorial, descriptions, spec etc. from gmpg.org to microformats.org
 +
** and put redirects in place, notes about contribution
 +
* update rel-me examples and document with examples the rel-me implict subdir rule
 +
 
 +
==== [[hatom|hAtom]] ====
 +
'''Next-actions''':
 +
 
 +
==== summary Examples in the Wild page ====
 +
* need to create a summary / overall [[examples-in-the-wild]] page
 +
** parallel the summary/overall [[implementations]] page.
 +
** use newly reorganized content from the above "reoganizing Examples in the Wild" task
 +
 
 +
==== parsing ====
 +
'''Next-actions''':
 +
* Draft *-parsing for all reasonably well adopted microformats: [[hreview-parsing]], [[xfolk-parsing]], [[hatom-parsing]]
 +
 
 +
=== document microformats history ===
 +
Document microformats [[history]], including:
 +
* dates and origins of microformats, names, terms
 +
* examples and formats for established microformats like [[hcard|hCard]], [[hcalendar|hCalendar]], [[xfn]], [[rel-license]], [[xoxo]]
 +
 
 +
=== other ===
 +
* Add XPath equivalents where appropriate in [[hcard-parsing]]
==Ryan==
==Ryan==
 +
=== wiki cleanup ===
 +
* <s>possibly move dead proposals off of homepage?</s>
 +
=== hCalendar/hCard/hReview creator improvements ===
=== hCalendar/hCard/hReview creator improvements ===
* get all creators working in IE/Win, IE/Mac, Safari/OSX.3
* get all creators working in IE/Win, IE/Mac, Safari/OSX.3
-
 
-
==== hCalendar/hCard/hReview editor ====
 
-
* onblur in the URL field (e.g. on hCalendar), goes out and tries to retrieve an object of same time (e.g. an hCalendar vevent) from that URL and uses it to autofill the form, same thing if the creator is loaded with that URL prefilled (e.g. due to a ?url=http://example.com/ in the URL that loads the creator).
 
-
 
-
=== *-authoring microformats wiki pages ===
 
-
* [[hcard-authoring]] - a tutorial on creating an hcard for you site, blog (common platforms), etc.
 
-
* [[hcalendar-authoring]] - a tutorial on how to blog events so your friends can subscribe to them
 
-
* [[hreview-authoring]] - a tutorial on how to blog reviews so that they'll be aggregated.
 
-
=== WordPress patches for microformats ===
 
-
* submit patches for WordPress code/templates for microformats improvements
 
-
** &lt;address class="vcard"&gt; improvement in post author publication (e.g. home page of http://microformats.org/ )
 
-
* Wordpress plugin for microformats, specifically hReview and hCalendar
 
-
** See [http://www.surfarama.com/index.php?p=227 lazyweb request]
 
=== other ===
=== other ===
-
* add an example of how to use DURATION in hcalendar see http://www.policyawareweb.org/2005/ftf2/paw-mtg#item15)
+
* add an example of how to use DURATION in hcalendar see http://www.policyawareweb.org/2005/ftf2/paw-mtg#item15) -> verify http://svn.lifelint.com/hcalendar_tests/calendar-todo-multiple-attendees-and-alarm.xml
=== rel-payment ===
=== rel-payment ===
* update rel-payment to reference the IANA registry [http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg02055.html]
* update rel-payment to reference the IANA registry [http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg02055.html]
 +
 +
=== hcalendar ===
 +
* make sure we explicitly disallow 'vjournal'
== Dimitri Glazkov ==
== Dimitri Glazkov ==
Line 133: Line 612:
== Chris Messina ==
== Chris Messina ==
 +
 +
=== General ===
* Work on a microformat for play-lists (is it just a XOXO ordererd list of play-items?)
* Work on a microformat for play-lists (is it just a XOXO ordererd list of play-items?)
-
* Work on a microformat for play-item
+
* Work on a microformat for play-item (take a look at [[media-info-examples]])
 +
* Work on microformats tutorial for designers
 +
* Add support for OpenID to micformats wiki
 +
* <strike>Add support for [http://verselogic.net/projects/wordpress/wordpress-openid-plugin/ OpenID] to the microformats blog</strike>.
 +
* <strike>Read GTD (at least the first two chapters)</strike>.
 +
 
 +
=== Campaigns ===
 +
 
 +
* <strike>Get Blogger to support hAtom and hCard</strike>
 +
* <strike>Get LinkedIn to support hCard, hResume, hCalendar</strike> and XFN
 +
* Get XING to support <strike>hCard</strike>, hCalendar, hResume and XFN
 +
* Get <strike>Digg to support microformats</strike> (still need XFN).
=== Wishlist ===
=== Wishlist ===
Line 141: Line 633:
* Microformat for "buyable items" (see [[listing-examples]] and related documents)
* Microformat for "buyable items" (see [[listing-examples]] and related documents)
* Location MF -- right click "map this" (see [[geo]] and [[adr]])
* Location MF -- right click "map this" (see [[geo]] and [[adr]])
-
* Better hCard support in the browser -- right click "IM this person...", "Add to contacts"
+
* Better hCard support in the browser -- right click "IM this person...", "Add to contacts" (see [http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2006/03/20/flocktails-for-flock/  Flocktails])
* Better hCal support -- support many views of same hCal data on one page using XSLT
* Better hCal support -- support many views of same hCal data on one page using XSLT
 +
* We need something that a designer/web programmer can come to and leave w/ 2 examples of each microformat that they can apply right away... a "microformats styleguide for designers", if you will.
 +
* invoicing microformat
 +
* better microformats wiki theme
 +
* Define flow for OpenID + XFN + hcard (see [http://diso-project.org DiSo Project])
 +
 +
Hey Chris.
 +
Congrats on Microsyntax
 +
([http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/05/26/stowe-boyd-launches-microsyntax-org/ "Stowe Boyd launches Microsyntax.org"]).
 +
So ... do we need a page on this Microformats wiki describing the connection between microformats and microsyntax?
== Robert Bachmann ==
== Robert Bachmann ==
 +
[[User:RobertBachmann|Robert Bachmann]]
 +
 +
=== XSLTs ===
 +
<ul>
 +
<li><strong>Test scripts</strong>
 +
<ul>
 +
<li>Do some refactoring, split Perl code into smaller modules</li>
 +
<li>Provide test results as HTML pages (similar to http://www.w3.org/2003/08/owl-systems/test-results-out)</li>
 +
<li>Provide some documentation for using the test scripts</li>
 +
</ul>
 +
</li>
 +
<li><strong>hAtom2Atom</strong>
 +
<ul>
 +
<li>
 +
Join all hfeed's inside a page (or a fragment thereof) into one feed using [http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc4287.html#element.source atom:source] semantics.
 +
</li>
 +
<li>
 +
Extraction of <code>atom:content</code>, <code>atom:summary</code> and <code>atom:title</code>:
 +
* <code>atom:content</code> and <code>atom:summary</code> as HTML
 +
* <code>atom:content</code> and <code>atom:summary</code> as plain-text
 +
* <code>atom:title</code> as XHTML
 +
* <code>atom:title</code> as HTML
 +
</li>
 +
<li>Support for other XSLT engines:
 +
* .Net System.Xml
 +
* hAtom2Atom written using XSL 2.0?
 +
** Do you think this would be useful? I have created a barebones version, doesn't yet take in all the parsing rules yet, but I'd be happy to share.  Moving to XSL 2.0 does make things a bit cleaner and more efficient. - Matt Dertinger.
 +
</li>
 +
<li>Support for other output formats: (hAtom2<i>xyz</i>.xsl)
 +
* RSS 2.0 (meanwhile use hAtom2Atom.xsl and [http://atom.geekhood.net/ atom2rss.xsl]) -- <i>+1 Matt Dertinger</i>
 +
* RSS 1.0 (meanwhile use hAtom2Atom.xsl and [http://cvs.4suite.org/viewcvs/uogbuji/atom2rss.xslt atom2rss.xslt]) -- <i>+1 Matt Dertinger</i>
 +
** My opinion at the moment, I neither want to produce nor to consume RSS. Atom is nicer (and should be supported by most good feed readers available today), RSS should fade away. -- Robert Bachmann
 +
* AtomOWL (meanwhile use hAtom2Atom.xsl and [http://dannyayers.com/2005/11/22/atomowl-xslt-progress/ atom2rdfxml.xsl])-- <i>+1 Matt Dertinger</i>
 +
** Having the possibility of GRDDL-ing hAtom to AtomOWL seems definitly interessting. I realy should implement this some day. - Robert Bachmann
 +
* JSON?
 +
** Does it make sense to consider a canonical representation of microformats (either case by case, or in general) in JSON?  E.g. so that a JSON API that returned contact information could return an hCard-equivalent chunk of JSON. - Tantek.
 +
*** This could enable some nice JavaScript hacks. I should give hAtom2JSON a try. - Robert Bachmann
 +
</li>
 +
</ul>
-
* make hatom2atom.xsl conformant to [[hatom]].
+
([[User:Singpolyma|singpolyma]] 01:02, 9 May 2006 (PDT) -- Not XSLT, but see http://xoxotools.ning.com/hatom2rss.php for hatom to RSS2.0 conversion)
 +
</li>
 +
</ul>
== Brian Suda ==
== Brian Suda ==
=== Citation Microformats ===
=== Citation Microformats ===
-
Add all my notes to the Wiki
+
* Add all my notes to the Wiki
 +
* Start the process of naming the properties using existing names
=== X2V ===
=== X2V ===
Make changes and update site (almost stable)
Make changes and update site (almost stable)
Get ATTENDEE and other strange attributes working
Get ATTENDEE and other strange attributes working
 +
==== WARNINGS and ERROR ====
 +
work on the warnings and error output for the pre-check in X2V
 +
=== FAQ ===
 +
* clean-up the MF FAQs
 +
* clean-up FAQs from the major microformats
 +
* pull Questions from the mailing list and document them to the FAQs and example
 +
 +
=== Microformats History ===
 +
* get early work from developer.technorati site
 +
** issues with MoinMoin full history: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinQuestions/UsingTheWiki#head-9d1b1d6beedde40b92cc6c13962b5a6f5b289d10
 +
 +
=== additions to the wiki ===
 +
 +
* better explain why NOT infinitely scaling is a good thing
 +
* better explain why microformats do NOT use namespacing
== Mark Rickerby ==
== Mark Rickerby ==
-
=== Writing and Copy Editing ===
+
=== Current Tasks ===
-
* Draft of [[getting-started]] page
 
-
* Edits to homepage feature box text
 
* Follow up on usability review
* Follow up on usability review
 +
** Edits to homepage feature box text
 +
** Draft of [[getting-started]] page
* Review content for new pages - [[start-simple]], [[modularity]], [[reuse]], [[humans-first]]
* Review content for new pages - [[start-simple]], [[modularity]], [[reuse]], [[humans-first]]
 +
* xoxo datatype examples
 +
** test case lists
 +
** transmitting key/value lists
 +
* practical feedback on hresume
 +
 +
=== Wishlist ===
 +
 +
* hmmm
== Ernest Prabhakar ==
== Ernest Prabhakar ==
Line 172: Line 738:
==== Goals ====
==== Goals ====
# Improve understanding of what needs to be done for Wiki
# Improve understanding of what needs to be done for Wiki
 +
#* IMHO - this should be done here, in [[to-do]] incrementally. -Tantek
# Tackle larger projects (~1-2 hours) than people usually have time for
# Tackle larger projects (~1-2 hours) than people usually have time for
 +
#* I'd like to see these projects *documented* first on [[to-do]] before we spend 1-2 hours of a bunch of folk's collective time to go through them. -Tantek
# Motivate community to have fun with otherwise tedious "housecleaning" chores
# Motivate community to have fun with otherwise tedious "housecleaning" chores
 +
==== Agenda (Wishlist) ====
==== Agenda (Wishlist) ====
In parallel:
In parallel:
Line 187: Line 756:
** Microformat lifecycle
** Microformat lifecycle
*** e.g., research->brainstorm->proposal->spec->maintain
*** e.g., research->brainstorm->proposal->spec->maintain
 +
*** see http://theryanking.com/microformats/method.txt --[[User:RyanKing|RyanKing]] 15:35, 22 Feb 2006 (PST)
*** ensure information easy to find, follow, and up-to-date
*** ensure information easy to find, follow, and up-to-date
* Review existing specs for completeness and consistency
* Review existing specs for completeness and consistency
Line 192: Line 762:
* Do it!
* Do it!
-
== New Person 2 ==
+
== Dan Connolly ==
 +
 
 +
[[User:DanC|DanC]] hopes to sync up on these tasks in [[irc]] roughly
 +
weekly, during Wednesday afternoon (Chicago time) "office hours". See also my [http://esw.w3.org/topic/DanConnolly esw todo list and someday pile].
 +
 
 +
* from SxSW in Austin
 +
** build a combined hcalendar/hcard profile; resolve issues in [[profile-uris]].
 +
*** with XSLT transformation to RDF
 +
** finish [[hcard-tests]]
 +
*** figure out [[include-pattern]] boundaries
 +
 
 +
* Medium term
 +
** sync [[hcalendar-tests]] and [http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/ RDF calendar] tests and CALSIFY
 +
*** reconsider RDF calendar naming conventions
 +
** update my CV/resume using [[hResume]] and [[citation-formats]]
 +
*** get an answer from the CALSIFY WG re [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-calendar/2006Apr/0006.html dtstart and date vs datetime ] 21 Apr 2006
 +
*** refine [[hatom]] so that it's suitable for the workflow around the W3C homepage.
 +
 
 +
* from WWW2006
 +
** follow up on GRDDL as escape valve for microformats proposals, much like CSS was an escape valve for HTML tag proposals.
 +
 
 +
* Someday pile
 +
** set up a timezone registry based on wikipedia and semantic mediawiki. As discussed in [[datetime-design-pattern]], iCalendar's by-value timezone passing is broken. see [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-calendar/2006Apr/0002.html reconsidering timezones in light of hCalendar and CALSIFY] and [http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/91 Toward Semantic Web data from Wikipedia]
 +
** noodle on a playlist format and some of the media RSS stuff like [[media-info-brainstorming]],  [[media-metadata-examples]] (re playlists: XSPF, SMIL, RDF, and microformats 9 Sep 2005)
 +
** check out that hReview bug stuff...
 +
** noodle on [[meeting-minutes-brainstorming]] and [http://esw.w3.org/topic/MeetingRecords MeetingRecords in the esw wiki].
 +
** noodle on clipboard scenarios, esp how RDFa works in the general case but isn't as author-friendly as domain-specific syntaxes.
 +
 
 +
[[User:DanC|DanC]] 15:39, 31 May 2006 (PDT)
 +
 
 +
== Chris Casciano ==
 +
 
 +
[[User:ChrisCasciano|ChrisCasciano]]
 +
 
 +
* get around to updating [[hatom-issues]] with some multi feed rules/exceptions.
 +
* <del>Update textpattern plugin with simple hreview support and get a new release out</del>
 +
* Redesign placenamehere.com and include hatom
 +
* Follow up with technorati folks on pingerati reviews getting lost (note: this will require publishing more reviews and theen watching them through the update process)
 +
* <del>prototype a NetNewsWire microformat extractor (CSS+AppleScript)</del>
 +
 
 +
== Drew McLellan ==
 +
 
 +
[[User:DrewMcLellan|DrewMcLellan]]
 +
 
 +
* Build an hReview profile for [http://allinthehead.com/hkit/ hKit] and test
 +
* Update the [http://www.webstandards.org/action/dwtf/microformats/ Dreamweaver extensions] to mirror recent changes in the online builders
 +
* <del>Publish an hCard to JSON service on [http://tools.microformatic.com/ tools.microformatic.com] using hKit.</del>
 +
* Further develop blog comment form hCard collection ideas.
 +
* Version of hReview creator using hKit to import business details from an hCard
 +
 
 +
== Christophe Ducamp (french localization) ==
 +
 
 +
[[Christophe Ducamp]]
 +
* seed "microformateurs group" and invite them to update http://microformateurs.org
 +
** write a process for newbies in order to make them write [[posh-fr|CHIC]] posts on a public blog-governed-by-wiki ([http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/MicroFormateurs/Blog]) before publication.
 +
** find experts for peer-reviewing
 +
** find french CSS gurus to setup a nice Sandbox-CSS template on Wordpress
 +
* translating the wiki
 +
** translate red links on [[Main_Page-fr]] and synchronize
 +
** find out microformateurs at ease on "the-wiki-way-translation", and ready to help on semi-anonymous-synchro
 +
* community-marketing -> pinko-marketing
 +
** public-relations towards french journalists and complete [[advocacy-fr|advocacy]] (especially [[hcard-advocacy-fr]] towards organizations.
 +
** help to build events, workshops like barcamps and explorcamps
 +
** update [http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microformats French-wikipedia:Microformats] and subpages via cowriting [http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discuter:Microformats on discussion page] (directly originated from the english article) + french examples to be found + local resources.
 +
** open discussion with french wikipediens about implementing some of the english existing templates
 +
** small gifts: accessories and free gifts ? t-shirts, localized cheat-sheet, id-hcard-openid-providing, etc.
 +
*** create hCard, hCalendar... and all red link pages on french wikipedia
 +
* localize [[species-fr]] and related pages
 +
* move all contents remaining on elanceur.org -> microformateurs.org
 +
* wiki and uf:
 +
** write and talk with "aboutus.org" to invite them to make experiences with uf -> talk with Mark Dilley
 +
** maintain/update http://www.communitywiki.org/MicroFormats and talk with LionKimbro
 +
** XWiki : awaiting beta-test of new platform
 +
*** Follow-up LudovicDubost et LaurentLunati
 +
* setup real-life links with european [[governance-fr|governance]] members ;) may be joining dconstruct-microformats-workshop  - find solution (registering fees and travel expenses -> talk with Arnaud Fontaine or search french sponsors)
 +
 
 +
== Frances Berriman ==
 +
 
 +
[[User:Phae|Frances Berriman]]
 +
 
 +
* Clean up this todo list (meta!)
 +
** Move alumni admin tasks out, and into a 'up for grabs' bucket (unless 100% specific to person).
 +
*** Ping anyone with specific tasks / nag
 +
* Proposal for page simplifications - notes, to expand to tasks later:
 +
** Need a way to push active formats (those in the process) to the fore, and push back stagnating items.
 +
** Process updates to blog?
 +
** Activity overview updates on main site somewhere?
 +
*** Code and Tools page on site: Currently it's mostly only tools.  Need to add a list of actual specifications on the wiki.
 +
** In general: less clutter, more structure, more focus.
 +
 
 +
== Ben West (bewest) ==
 +
 
 +
[[User:BenWest|bewest]]
 +
* fight spam
 +
* help tend wiki
 +
* documentation of semantic authoring techniques
 +
* researching the social problems relating to authorship and publishing on the web
 +
* development of new microformats in response to failing to meet the needs of the second with the first.
 +
 
 +
=== Expore Microformat Deployment Issues ===
 +
How does who determine the status of work going through some stage of the process?  When does a format move from draft to "full spec"?  Who decides?  What are the qualitative and quantitative features that characterize work in different stages, especially as a spec nears deployment as "full spec".  What makes this pronouncement more than a mythical blessing?  What quantitative analyses can be provided to validate deployment?  Today, we have powerful agents capable of processing huge amounts of information on the web.  Should we be using these to measure published marketshare?  What role should tools and test suites play in deploying microformats?
 +
 
 +
=== Vocabulary ===
 +
A lot of knowledge work is about maintaining sets of vocabulary. Now that the vocabulary is emerging, it may be time start making sure everyone is "on the same page," especially since some of the language is highly symbolic.
 +
Terms:
 +
* "boil the ocean" A huge task.  "A phrase used in the industry to describe an attempt at something that is way too ambitious. For example, "They're trying to get their site launched by COMDEX. They could easier boil the ocean." from <http://www.netlingo.com/right.cfm?term=boil%20the%20ocean>
 +
* microformats: more than one microformat
 +
* microformat: see my definition on http://microformats.org/wiki/what-are-microformats#BenWest
 +
* data fidelity: the extent to which a data format might be considered lossy. eg HTML is often seen as a lossy format because the information parsed out of a resource may not fully match the information orginally encoded. Non-lossy formats have a very high data fidelity, while lossy formats have low data fidelity. Microformats seek to increase data fidelity of html.
 +
* market: the locus of economic forces
 +
 
 +
: See [[glossary]]. [[User:AndyMabbett|Andy Mabbett]] 13:57, 7 Dec 2006 (PST)
 +
 
 +
=== Creators ===
 +
_Concession_: my plans involve reuse of code, which would involve non-compatible changes with the current inline model.  This is a nice feature, so maybe I should be branching instead.
 +
* <strike>Start hatom creator.</strike> http://dichotomize.com/uf/hatom/creator.html
 +
* Code Reuse. These creators are downright handy, and I’ve reimplemented the vcard one on my own site. Instead, let’s make these widgetized. Let’s decide on a more or less canonical html structure and create some javascript that will create the desired microformat. Something as easy to use as new Microformat.hCard($('mycontainer')); would be awesome. Right now, if someone makes an improvement to the hCard creator, the other creators don’t get the benefit. Spec this out!
 +
* About Section. Is there an official creator page? If so, let’s point to that. The about paragraph is getting longer and longer with phrases like “which is based on…” repeated over and over.
 +
* Default all dates to “right now”. Provide an easy to use calendar type widget to change dates.
 +
* hAtom creator: Add multiple. It’d be nice to add an arbitrary number of entries.
 +
* hAtom creator: Optional feed enclosure. Check box to wrap the entry/entries in an hfeed.
 +
* Edit URI: Allow someone to enter a URI and edit whatever microformat is found on the page.
 +
* Optionals. If the format requires, say, a vcard, the creator can defer to an external URI or can trust the user to fill it in later.
 +
* Common stylesheet. I suppose this goes with the reuseable code idea… we have many great coders, we should be reusing eachothers’ work.
 +
* Use Amazon's ECS to pull in information about products when there is an ASIN in the item URI.
 +
 
 +
=== Information Architecture ===
 +
'''Help Welcomed! Please leave your name'''
 +
Add complaints to [[wiki-feedback]]!
 +
Helping to make the wiki easier to use.  I'd like to see the main page more towards a format like http://simile.mit.edu/solvent/ with the big questions right out front:
 +
* What Is This?
 +
* What can I do here?
 +
* Is there a demo?
 +
* Where can I learn more?
 +
I'd like to change the front page to this kind of design.
 +
==== Support Pages ====
 +
There are several categories of things in the wiki.  Can we enumerate them?
 +
* About the Community
 +
** Where to find information.
 +
** Who are the stake holders?
 +
** FAQs
 +
* Web/Architectural Philosophy
 +
** Community Principles
 +
** Why are we doing this?
 +
** XML and Namespaces
 +
** Semantic XHTML
 +
** Common Misconceptions
 +
** Concession and Disposition of Criticism
 +
** FAQs
 +
* Specs
 +
** Examples
 +
** Discussion
 +
** Exploration
 +
** Use Cases
 +
** Implementations
 +
** The spec itself.
 +
 
 +
* Tips and Tricks for Authoring ([[User:BenWest|BenWest]] 15:00, 9 Dec 2006 (PST))
 +
** how to author semantic html
 +
** choosing class names
 +
** using HTML's general extension mechanisms
 +
** advocating use
 +
** collaborating/reusing HTML
 +
** debugging HTML: use pastebin, separate out the relevant bits.
 +
** getting help from the community
 +
** applying Microformats.
 +
 
 +
Can others agree and or refine this list?  Should I take it to the -discuss list?  How do we create consensus on how the wiki should be organized in order to make it more usable? And how can we turn that consensus into actionable changes?
 +
 
 +
The wiki should also capture wisdom that stems from discussions that don't produce microformats.  For example, Chris Messina suggests a "Best Of" page suitable for capturing this kind of wisdom.  I think we can think of a given microformat as being at a place in a spectrum that ranges from "not yet thought of", to "interesting but needs work," or even "rejected", and of course including all the stages familiar to the microformats processes (eg examples, brainstorming, etc...).
 +
If there were such a page would it:
 +
* Belong to a microformat? (eg hcard-bestof)
 +
* or to the global namespace? (eg /wiki/wisdom/foobar-format)
 +
(I think Chris Messina suggests that it belongs to a given microformat, but then how do we collect wisdom from non-microformats?)
 +
 
 +
Considering that the wiki page named with the microformat (i.e. /wiki/hcard) is the one that people will mostly likely look to first for learning about a particular format, I'd think it'd make more sense and create a more welcoming feel to convert these pages to an intro page introducing the format for the beginner and linking to resources like tutorials and creators. Spec pages would then be relocated to wiki/*-spec -- [[User:Cgriego|Cgriego]] 13:25, 16 Oct 2006 (PDT)
 +
 
 +
====Mike Schinkel's Comments====
 +
 
 +
My suggestion on the list was for us to use a convention that the entry page (i.e.
 +
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard) would be an index into a list of
 +
(psuedo) standardized sub pages so that it would be very people to
 +
find what is important to them. For example, is a list of potential sub pages:
 +
 
 +
* Microformat
 +
** Specification
 +
** Tutorial
 +
** Examples
 +
** Use cases
 +
** Reference
 +
** Discussion
 +
** Brainstorming (might be combined w/Discussion)
 +
** Implementations
 +
** Related Pages
 +
** Further Reading
 +
** All (Uses Mediawiki's "includes" to create a page including all sub pages; very useful for printing & reading offline)
 +
 
 +
These pages would be located respectively at
 +
 
 +
* http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Specification
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Tutorial
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Examples
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Use_cases
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Reference
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Discussion
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Brainstorming
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Implementations
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Related_Pages
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/Further_Reading
 +
** http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard/All
 +
 
 +
Please note I am suggesting an architecture not a specific list of sub pages. The list of sub pages should be defined by both reviewing existing information during site reorganization, and then via discussion on the list in an attempt to discover and extract which sub pages are needed for most/all microformats.
 +
 
 +
'''NOTE''': This differs from above in that the spec if not viewed as a top level structure but instead the microformat itself and the spec would be under the microformat.  In this context "microformat" is a more abstract concept and "spec" is a more concrete thing. Another way to think about it would be that each microformat would have it's own mini home page and then things like "spec" are the pages listed on its home page.
 +
 
 +
== Matt Dertinger (Thewhoo) ==
 +
 
 +
[[User:Thewhoo]]
 +
 
 +
=== hAtom2Atom ===
 +
<ul>
 +
<li>Support for other XSLT engines:
 +
* hAtom2Atom written using XSL 2.0
 +
</li>
 +
<li>Support for other output formats: (hAtom2<i>xyz</i>.xsl)
 +
* RSS 2.0 (meanwhile use hAtom2Atom.xsl and [http://atom.geekhood.net/ atom2rss.xsl])
 +
* RSS 1.0 (meanwhile use hAtom2Atom.xsl and [http://cvs.4suite.org/viewcvs/uogbuji/atom2rss.xslt atom2rss.xslt])
 +
* AtomOWL (meanwhile use hAtom2Atom.xsl and [http://dannyayers.com/2005/11/22/atomowl-xslt-progress/ atom2rdfxml.xsl])
 +
</li>
 +
</ul>
 +
 
 +
=== Microformats Proposals ===
 +
 
 +
* rel="disclaimer":
 +
** Purpose: to create a semantic linkage (relationship) between a foot-note or end-note marker and the actual location of the text that the marker refers to.
 +
* rel="external":
 +
** Purpose: to formalize what is already in existence in the wild. The use of rel="external" to refer to a document that is external or outside of the current domain.
 +
 
 +
== Henri Bergius ==
 +
 
 +
[[User:HenriBergius|Henri Bergius]]
 +
 
 +
* Add hKit support for automatically populating contact details into [http://www.openpsa.org/version2/openpsa/contacts.html OpenPsa Contacts] CRM
 +
* Implement Tail scripts for adding things into Midgard
 +
 
 +
== Justin Thorp ==
 +
* Start researching examples for a To-do microformat
 +
 
 +
== [[User:MarkLentczner|Mark Lentczner]] ==
 +
 
 +
* Get Second Life's event web pages to have proper event microformats data
 +
** Add [[hcard|hCard]] to profile pages
 +
** Add [[hcalendar|hCalendar]] to events listings
 +
* Start pinging pingerati.net/ping/$url when pages are updated
 +
* Collaborate on designing how to integrate microformats, metadata and objects in [http://secondlife.com/ Second Life].
 +
 
 +
== [[User:DerrickPallas|Derrick Pallas]] ==
 +
=== microformat proposal: dependancy ===
 +
* looking for examples of directed graphs on the web
 +
* applications in
 +
** software engineering
 +
*** automatically build library dependency trees
 +
*** distribute security alerts to people that link to your code
 +
** any directed, acyclic graph
 +
*** getting dressed in the morning
 +
*** cooking
 +
* orthogonal to xfn
 +
** people don't have versions
 +
*** libfoo requires libbar-2.0 or later
 +
** people don't have optional relationships
 +
*** ex: at build time, compile in SSL support if present
 +
** people don't have exclusive-or relationships
 +
*** ex: in Gentoo, syslog, syslog-ng, and metalog satisfy virtual/syslog
 +
*** ex: the Ruby library RMagick requires ImageMagick xor GraphicsMagick
 +
 
 +
== [[User:PaulDowney|Paul Downey]] ==
 +
* building a generic Javascript parser
 +
* bundling parser as a [http://tiddlywiki.org TidlyWiki] plugin for hCards
 +
* documenting how best to microformat TiddlyWiki pages
 +
 
 +
== [[User:RobManson | Rob Manson]] ==
 +
* chase the admins to get some creation template extensions installed for wiki (see: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Inputbox or http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CreateBox or http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CreateArticle)
 +
 
 +
== [[User:ClayNewton | Clay Newton]] ==
 +
* Work on getting others involved in [[trade-examples]]
 +
** Need examples from major online banking sites
 +
** Need examples from major ecommerce sites
 +
* Continue working on: [[trade-brainstorming]]
 +
 
 +
== [[User:BenWard | Ben Ward]] ==
 +
 
 +
=== Recurring ===
 +
 
 +
* Delete Wiki Spam
 +
 
 +
=== Currently ===
 +
 
 +
* Gardening/updating key wiki pages.
 +
** [[how-to-play]]
 +
** XHTML Design Principals
 +
* embed brainstorming
 +
* Considering new welcome banner of µf.org to link to various µf resources, rather than being dominated by the infrequently updated blog.
 +
 
 +
=== Next Actions ===
 +
 
 +
* Conclude new hCalendar proposals from Yahoo TV Listings experience
 +
* Resume work on hListing microformat
 +
* Re-org the Microformats.org front-page content
 +
** Work with [[User:Phae]] on refreshing the microformats frontpage content
 +
** Build new events module for the blog using Upcoming.org, rather than hard coded event data (Matt Harris may have done this…)
 +
** Build new wiki edits module for the blog
 +
** Combine ‘list of microformats’ into the intro text? Make intro text more friendly.
 +
* Build a microformats activity stream
 +
** Replace front page blog with activity flow
 +
*** Wiki Edits/New Pages
 +
*** New Mailing List Threads
 +
*** Interesting µf links
 +
*** Blog posts
 +
*** Upcoming events/event reminders
 +
* Improve µf.org/blog OpenID support, find a good workflow for login/comment (current plug-in has an abysmal user experience)
-
etc.
+
== [[User:Spiritquest|Ketan Majmudar]] ==
 +
=== Activites ===
 +
* Work on developing the [[hlisting-brainstorming|hListing]] proposal
 +
** Provide real world examples and apply this to the proposed specifications
 +
* refine and keep up to date with [[hcard|hCard]] formats as used on existing sites [[http://www.ethical-junction.org| Ethical Junction CIC]]
 +
* Understand / follow and evangalise existing patterns, especially the new [[value-class-pattern]]
 +
* see where I can help the community
 +
* look at using x2v or writing php parser classes for hcard -> vcard
 +
* open source hCard class (php)  used to format db fields

Current revision

Contents

This page is for posting microformats related shared to do items. If you want to use this page for your microformats related to-do items, create a section with your name on it. The reason we are keeping these all on the same page is to make it easier to tell when people are working on similar things, and to make it more obvious when people help out with other people's tasks. In theory this probably won't scale, but let's first see how it does in practice. :) - Tantek

microformats2 updates

The following pages need to be updated to for microformats2 (typically code, examples, and any specific format advice)

wiki gardening

trim fixups

Search for all uses of "tr.im" for shortlinks and replace them with "ufs.cc/w/" links that just use the pagename.

In particular, let's document old tr.im links and (unlinked) and where they used to link to so that if someone *searches* for tr.im URLs to figure out what happened to them, there's a chance they'll find the equivalent.

simplify pages

Review pages, from the Main Page on down and:

Examples of simplified pages:

Pages to simplify:

remove broken URLs

There's lots of links to sites that are now gone (see site-deaths on IWC for a full list).

It'd be useful if we replaced them where possible with links to archive.org or equivalent.

TODO (mark as done when done):

incorporate things expected to break

shortlink spec

The rel=shortlink spec:

is going to die soon as part of Google Code's shutdown.

1. We should copy that spec (along with FAQ for the first few valid questions/comments) to rel-shortlink, moving existing contents there to supplementary pages or purely historical record.

2. Get http://purl.org/net/shortlink to redirect to rel-shortlink instead.


more documentation and research

extract from 1989 timbl proposal


microformats specific

Just some nice things, feel free to do any of these.

for all microformats

hCard

hCalendar

Add support to open source calendar projects

These are open source projects that could be potentially enhanced to support hCalendar.

hReview

hCalendar/hCard/hReview editor

hAtom

WordPress patches for microformats

Yahoo Open Source Library Patches

Several of these could very much be improved with a little microformats markup. Do we just make patches and submit them? Contact Nate Koechley at Yahoo (see Tantek for contact info) to follow-up.

Drupal patches for microformats

Adding Microformats to Existing Pages

rel-tagging on Wikipedia

Somebody familiar with the "rel-tag" microformat might want to add details, and a link to the relevant page on this Wiki, to the Wikipedia page on tagging. Andy Mabbett 14:07, 3 Jan 2007 (PST)

Glossary

Add to the glossary.

hAtom tutorial

Finish the hatom-tutorial.

wiki gardening

Spelling

Per how-to-play: for English-language pages only: Find British spellings of common words and replace them with the US spellings per en-US. Mark such edits as "minor" with the comment: [[en-US]]. Please be careful to use and maintain proper native spelling of proper nouns (see how-to-play for details).

Here is a table of searches for some of the British-English spellings that have crept into English-language microformats wiki pages, along with their respective US-English spellings. If you find other British spellings, please feel free to add them to this table, with their US equivalent.

en-GB en-US
behaviour behavior
behaviours behaviors
centre center
colour color
colours colors
favour favor
flavour flavor
flavours flavors
flavoured flavored
minimise minimize
minimises minimizes
recognise recognize
recognised recognized

More American and British English spelling differences

Admins

This section is for folks to suggest to-do items for admins, in particular, having to do with suggestions for improvements to microformats.org infrastructure such as the wiki. If you do add an item to this list, please sign your username with four tildes: ~~~~.

Admins check this "inbox" periodically and process and move items to admin-to-do.

Please check admin-to-do to see if there is already an ongoing task item relating to your request. Otherwise add the item below.

Website Improvements

Wiki improvements

Tantek

I'm keeping microformats related to-do items here both for my own convenience, and for folks looking to help out. - Tantek.

overall priority ordering

  1. Protect the community from threats (wiki damage, mailing list pain or noise), repair damage, add measures to reduce future damage
  2. Update microformats2-parsing with resolved microformats2-parsing-issues
  3. Help implementers with established microformats
  4. Iterate on existing established microformats, resolve issues/feedback etc.
  5. Wiki cleanup/gardening for existing established microformats
  6. Site usability of microformats.org top-down as an entry point
  7. Community dynamics, process and principles improvements to help guide new microformats developments
  8. Wrap up classic microformats documentation
  9. Document microformats history.
  10. Other

protect the community

update microformats2-parsing with resolved issues

Update microformats2-parsing with resolved microformats2-parsing-issues

help implementers

Update all these tasks for microformats2:

wiki cleanup

Update all these tasks for microformats2:

for all microformat specs

Next-actions:

update specification section organization

Goal: greater approachability/readability of microformats specs by a broader audience.

Reference:

Next-actions:

  1. contact microformats community members who are content/tutorial authors, and/or have written (or are writing) technical books, and those who have made concrete helpful suggestions for reorganizing the information architecture / content-order / layout of specs.
  2. figure out if the new intro/headers etc. structure/order in hCard, hReview, and hResume is an improvement, and if it could be better. Document reasoning/requirements for intro/header and other sections.
    • Shorter tends to be better
    • Must be comprehensive enough to "print and read"
    • Must detail authorship/editorship
    • Must detail copyright/patent statements
  3. Design an iterative update to spec organization, in particular, the introduction/boilerplate/headers.
  4. Write up a template - make it self-documenting per the requirements
  5. Update existing specifications with the new intro/headers structure.
    1. hCard
    2. hCalendar
    3. hReview
  6. Write up methodology behind the section organization and note editors lessons learned into an editors-guide page (what other variants were done before, in which specs, and note problems/complaints with other variants).

reorganizing Implementations sections

Hmmm... I like: Authoring, Browsing, Converting, Indexing, Libraries (for developers), and Potential (for open source projects we want to add support to). Anybody have alternative suggestions for this vocabulary? I don't have a particularly strong preference so I'm going to go with these four until I find examples that don't fit, or someone suggests something better.

See: hCalendar Implementations for a first attempt at this. Assuming folks like that, we can go ahead with categorizing the implementations sections of other microformats specifications.

Next-actions:

reorg Examples in the Wild sections

Work with community to:

site usability

Update all these tasks for microformats2:

introduction / community

Update all these tasks for microformats2:

posh improvement

principles and process

Create the following pages and document/fill them with content from other pages, email lists, and presentations.

profiles

community mark

document issue resolutions

emerging microformats

Update all these tasks for microformats2:

Next-actions for each emerging microformat (one at a time)

new microformat requests

Update all these tasks for microformats2:

wrap up classic microformats documentation

minor update current specifications

social network portability

Iterate on:

Brainstorm updates to the pocket-cheat-sheet to better enable social-network-portability, or perhaps design a new social network portability pocket cheat sheet that specifically documents:

foldup cheatsheet

next actions:

*-authoring microformats wiki pages

help with microformat examples in the wild

Using the above updated authoring pages, get the community to help go over all "common" pages (both logged out and logged in states) of the following sites which have some microformats already, and verify each page is as microformatted as it can be with high fidelity hCalendar and hCard etc. Document full support of each implementation's microformats on the implementations page (perhaps create a separate page for each implementation, e.g. flickr, upcoming, eventful etc.) Document any exceptions as needed. In no particular order:

advocacy for obvious sites

in general

plain language intros

For hCard, hCalendar, hReview, XOXO to start with, write up:

In particular for XOXO, Angus McIntyre suggested:

These suggestions could be incorporated into the other specs as well.

exploratory discussions
CSS enhancements for

Analyze existing microformats for opportunities to enhance CSS and propose to W3C.

update affiliations
profile URLs

hCard

Combined next-actions for iteration on hCard, and derived/subsetted microformats adr and geo

hCalendar

Next-actions:

hReview

Next-actions:

rel-tag

Next-actions:

rel-me

Next-actions:

hAtom

Next-actions:

summary Examples in the Wild page

parsing

Next-actions:

document microformats history

Document microformats history, including:

other

Ryan

wiki cleanup

hCalendar/hCard/hReview creator improvements

other

rel-payment

hcalendar

Dimitri Glazkov

Chris Messina

General

Campaigns

Wishlist

Hey Chris. Congrats on Microsyntax ("Stowe Boyd launches Microsyntax.org"). So ... do we need a page on this Microformats wiki describing the connection between microformats and microsyntax?

Robert Bachmann

Robert Bachmann

XSLTs

Brian Suda

Citation Microformats

X2V

Make changes and update site (almost stable) Get ATTENDEE and other strange attributes working

WARNINGS and ERROR

work on the warnings and error output for the pre-check in X2V

FAQ

Microformats History

additions to the wiki

Mark Rickerby

Current Tasks

Wishlist

Ernest Prabhakar

Wiki-Thon Proposal

Set aside several hours (probably a Friday night US PST) for focused work on the Wiki, including both physical (e.g., a room in the Bay Area) and virtual (IRC/iChat) participants.

Goals

  1. Improve understanding of what needs to be done for Wiki
    • IMHO - this should be done here, in to-do incrementally. -Tantek
  2. Tackle larger projects (~1-2 hours) than people usually have time for
    • I'd like to see these projects *documented* first on to-do before we spend 1-2 hours of a bunch of folk's collective time to go through them. -Tantek
  3. Motivate community to have fun with otherwise tedious "housecleaning" chores

Agenda (Wishlist)

In parallel:

Dan Connolly

DanC hopes to sync up on these tasks in irc roughly weekly, during Wednesday afternoon (Chicago time) "office hours". See also my esw todo list and someday pile.

DanC 15:39, 31 May 2006 (PDT)

Chris Casciano

ChrisCasciano

Drew McLellan

DrewMcLellan

Christophe Ducamp (french localization)

Christophe Ducamp

Frances Berriman

Frances Berriman

Ben West (bewest)

bewest

Expore Microformat Deployment Issues

How does who determine the status of work going through some stage of the process? When does a format move from draft to "full spec"? Who decides? What are the qualitative and quantitative features that characterize work in different stages, especially as a spec nears deployment as "full spec". What makes this pronouncement more than a mythical blessing? What quantitative analyses can be provided to validate deployment? Today, we have powerful agents capable of processing huge amounts of information on the web. Should we be using these to measure published marketshare? What role should tools and test suites play in deploying microformats?

Vocabulary

A lot of knowledge work is about maintaining sets of vocabulary. Now that the vocabulary is emerging, it may be time start making sure everyone is "on the same page," especially since some of the language is highly symbolic. Terms:

See glossary. Andy Mabbett 13:57, 7 Dec 2006 (PST)

Creators

_Concession_: my plans involve reuse of code, which would involve non-compatible changes with the current inline model. This is a nice feature, so maybe I should be branching instead.

Information Architecture

Help Welcomed! Please leave your name Add complaints to wiki-feedback! Helping to make the wiki easier to use. I'd like to see the main page more towards a format like http://simile.mit.edu/solvent/ with the big questions right out front:

I'd like to change the front page to this kind of design.

Support Pages

There are several categories of things in the wiki. Can we enumerate them?

Can others agree and or refine this list? Should I take it to the -discuss list? How do we create consensus on how the wiki should be organized in order to make it more usable? And how can we turn that consensus into actionable changes?

The wiki should also capture wisdom that stems from discussions that don't produce microformats. For example, Chris Messina suggests a "Best Of" page suitable for capturing this kind of wisdom. I think we can think of a given microformat as being at a place in a spectrum that ranges from "not yet thought of", to "interesting but needs work," or even "rejected", and of course including all the stages familiar to the microformats processes (eg examples, brainstorming, etc...). If there were such a page would it:

(I think Chris Messina suggests that it belongs to a given microformat, but then how do we collect wisdom from non-microformats?)

Considering that the wiki page named with the microformat (i.e. /wiki/hcard) is the one that people will mostly likely look to first for learning about a particular format, I'd think it'd make more sense and create a more welcoming feel to convert these pages to an intro page introducing the format for the beginner and linking to resources like tutorials and creators. Spec pages would then be relocated to wiki/*-spec -- Cgriego 13:25, 16 Oct 2006 (PDT)

Mike Schinkel's Comments

My suggestion on the list was for us to use a convention that the entry page (i.e. http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard) would be an index into a list of (psuedo) standardized sub pages so that it would be very people to find what is important to them. For example, is a list of potential sub pages:

These pages would be located respectively at

Please note I am suggesting an architecture not a specific list of sub pages. The list of sub pages should be defined by both reviewing existing information during site reorganization, and then via discussion on the list in an attempt to discover and extract which sub pages are needed for most/all microformats.

NOTE: This differs from above in that the spec if not viewed as a top level structure but instead the microformat itself and the spec would be under the microformat. In this context "microformat" is a more abstract concept and "spec" is a more concrete thing. Another way to think about it would be that each microformat would have it's own mini home page and then things like "spec" are the pages listed on its home page.

Matt Dertinger (Thewhoo)

User:Thewhoo

hAtom2Atom

Microformats Proposals

Henri Bergius

Henri Bergius

Justin Thorp

Mark Lentczner

Derrick Pallas

microformat proposal: dependancy

Paul Downey

Rob Manson

Clay Newton

Ben Ward

Recurring

Currently

Next Actions

Ketan Majmudar

Activites

To Do was last modified: Monday, December 31st, 2018

Views