<entry-title>XFN Implementations </entry-title>
In addition to the XFN Tools page, this page contains more more recent implementations.
Note: we should move all of http://gmpg.org/xfn/tools to here, (re)verify each, and document as either up to date, or obsolete. Perhaps snapshot the entire list (without links) for historical implementation documentation. Then let's redirect gmpg.org/xfn/tools to here.
The following implementations have been developed which either generate or parse XFN relationship links. If you have an XFN implementation, feel free to add it to the top of this list.
- XFN profile discovery - A Greasemonkey script that follows rel="me" links from the current page to find a person's other sites and profiles.
- Afrigator by Stii Pretorius - use XFN data found on blog rolls to find friends on Afrigator.com (Screen cast - http://www.vimeo.com/1110175)
- Digg by Steve Williams (Example: Steve's Digg user profile.)
- XFN friend finder by Don Park (blog explanation).
- qmpeople - Generates XFN from address book properties of registered users - e.g. http://www.qmpeople.com/users/laserion
- TextCube Blogging tool TextCube version 1.6 and later.
- Google Social Graph API uses XFN data from public Web sites as its main data source.
update streams and pingers
- SixApart Relationship Update Stream - launched 2007-10-19
The following tools, plugins, and extensions enable authors to eaily create and publish XFN links:
- LL4blojsom is the LinkList plugin for the blojsom blog engine. blojsom, written in Java, is the open source application behind the Tiger Weblog Server that is part of OS X server. The LL4blojsom plugin is used for creating XFN blogrolls.
- XFN rel Creator This script replaces any links within the designated tags and replaces them with a visual representation of the links. Default set as abbrevations but with CSS it is easy to replace them for images.
- WordPress has XFN support built-in to its Link Manager function, which is used for generating blogrolls. When in the administrative interface, choose the Links top-level menu item, then choose Add Link. The link form lets you choose which XFN properties you wish the link to have. When displaying the links on the site via any of the standard WordPress template tags, it will automatically format it with the appropriate tags in the rel attribute. (based on XFN Creator)
- Community Server has XFN support in its blog Link Lists. It allows you to select which XFN tag(s) to use for each link.
- Dreamweaver Extension suite from the Web Standards Project enables the authoring of XFN links from within Dreamweaver 8.
- pnh_mf is a plugin for Textpattern that supports embedding XFN and other microformats in templates and blog posts. Written by Chris Casciano.
- OddMuse XFN Module allows a wiki markup in OddMuse wikis for entering data about xfn relationships
- blo.gs – Allows you to add information regarding your relationship to the people behind the blogs in your favorites list. XFN 1.1 support added 2004-08-20.
- Nvu – HTML editor that integrates XFN editing into its hyperlink editing dialogs.
If you are a native/fluent reader of the following languages, please review the respective XFN creators and leave a nested list comment evaluating them. Once a creator has been sufficiently well reviewed, it should be copied to gmpg.org (or preferably http://microformats.org/code/xfn/ and http://microformats.org/code-tools) and rel-alternate linked accordingly.
Numerous services support both XFN friends lists, and even better XFN+hCard friends lists.
rel me identity equivalency
- YADIS plugin supports OpenID delegation links that are also compatible XFN rel-me links.
- Wink supports rel-me (see )
- suboptimal: uses "nofollow me" where it should just use "me". User entered profile information is first party, not 3rd party, and therefore should not be labeled with rel="nofollow".
visualizers and browsers
- XFN visualization example at IBM's Many Eyes made with xfn-spider — simple crawler extracting microformats with XSLT (Original article in Russian circa summer 2007) and exporting information to OPML feedlist, tag cloud etc.
- XFN Graph — a multi-platform Java-based tool which creates spider diagrams of XFN relationships from any given starting URL.
- XFNRoller (to be lifestalker.com) XFN spider and browser focused on using blogs to represent individuals. Exports OPML of feeds for lists such as top 10 most popular people.
- XFN Search (appears to require HTTP-authentication login)
- see XFN → FOAF
appear old or unverifiable
These sites appear to be too old, and or perhaps broken (like PHP error dump).
The following XFN implementations appear to be offline:
- Autoxfn – A module for Bloxsom that adds XFN annotations to links in an entry.
- was at http://weblog.scifihifi.com/2004/02/08/autoxfn-10/ as of 2004-02-08.
- exefen – A Web-based interface that allows quick XFN annotation of all the links on a page. You can save the result and paste it back into your HTML source.
- was at http://photomatt.net/tools/exefen/ as of 2004(?).