[microformats-dev] Re: [microformats-discuss] Wanted: Sample code to convert vcard to hcard

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 11 11:05:05 PDT 2005

On 8/11/05 7:10 AM, "Bud Gibson" <bud at thecommunityengine.com> wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2005, at 7:45, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>

>> But you are absolutely correct.  Microformats also better enable re-
>> use of
>> scripts as well.  I wonder where we should write that down on the
>> wiki...
>>

> Mark Rickerby and I wrote something down in the implementations area.

Great!

> I actually think you need a microformat-hacks site for this and am in
> the process of setting one up.

I certainly have no problem with folks setting up their own microformat
hacks sites.  Let a thousand microformat hacks bloom.

But you may want to be aware of the fact that Matt Mullenweg is setting up
subversion and trac for http://microformats.org/code/ so that more folks can
easily share open source microformats code.

If you want to setup your own site to publish your code, by all means,
please go right on ahead.

> Ryan has asked why you would want a hacks site separate from
> microformats.org or the dev list.  I think the answer is that
> microformats.org is focused on standards and spec writing.

The focus is definitely there, but that's largely just because we got the
wiki and mailing list setup on day 1, and are still in the process of
setting up subversion and trac.

> That's
> really different from talking about scripting solutions and
> strategies.

That's certainly topical for the microformats-dev list.

> A hacks site would also take the microformats as a given
> and open the floodgates on scripting solutions.

Agreed.  Like I said, feel free to publish your own, and feel free to use
the microformats.org/code subversion repository when it's setup.

It's more important for people to be publishing microformats open source
than where it is published.  We can always link to it using the magic of
this hyperlink technology. ;)

Tantek