[Microformats-dev] ISO Dates

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 19 13:52:54 PDT 2005

On 7/19/05 10:36 AM, "Ryan King" <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2005, at 8:35 AM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

>>> Good.

>> Absolutely.  This is a requirement of iCalendar in particular.
>
> Ah, I've misread the spec. Apparently, you can only specify TZID's
> not timezone offsets.

Exactly.

> Why is it, then that we publish hCalendar with offsets?

For a decent chance at human verifiability between the human readable
version and the machine readable version.

By allowing the publishing of the datetime with an offset, the actual
datetime value is likely to be in the "native" timezone of the person
authoring the event and thus will likely "match up" with the human readable
text.  Just hover over any typical hCalendar encoded event's start datetime
for example, and I bet you'll have a good chance at seeing the same
information (if punctuated a bit differently).

It is *much* more difficult to verify UTC encoded times (and I've spent a
lot of time with both).  Time zone math is difficult even for computers to
get right, never mind humans in their head.

> Why not allow TZID's?

The resulting structure that is required (see RFC2445) for defining TZIDs is
much more complex.

Thanks,

Tantek