[uf-dev] GEO Microformats Web Service

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 17:15:20 PDT 2006

I have been working on a few more XSLT files to convert the GEO
microformat to a set of corresponding XML files, namely KML (for
google maps and google earth) and GeoRSS (for Yahoo! maps), which is
using the W3C Geo Point Namespace in RSS 2.0.

http://suda.co.uk/projects/microformats/geo/

it is still an early iteration, but i have run into a few "good"
problems. Unlike hCard/hCalendar, GEO is the first that has been
mapped to multiple formats. (citations will probably be the next).

Now, GEO is part of hCard, but it has been broken out on its own as well.

The "proprietary" Geo XML formats all seem to have elements for TITLE,
DESCRIPTION etc. GEO format alone does not have these (and i don't
think it should). So as I transform GEO microformats to XML can or
should i be looking for other microformats that might be parents, e.g.
hCards, hCalendar and attempt to extract TITLE and DESCRIPTION from
various other properties, FN, SUMMARY, DESCRIPTION, and/or is this
more of an implementation-by-implementation "feature"?

Finally, would anyone be adverse to me checking these into HG as a GEO
repository?

-brian

--
brian suda