[uf-dev] floating time

Mark Mansour mark at lifelint.com
Wed Jun 7 17:11:51 PDT 2006

Hi Ryan,

Floating dates (and maybe datetimes) are definitely needed.  And it's
great to hear that you are working on the hCalendar tests!

Anyway, the classic example is christmas day which is 20061225 but
doesn't have a single offset from UTC because it is floating between
timezones.

Mark

PS: I have an incling that the LifeLint parser handles this, but I'm
not sure (I don't have time to check my code at the moment).

On 6/8/06, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:
> I've started working on the hCalendar test suite and have a question.
>
> In X2V, all datetime's are converted to UTC, even if no timezone
> offset was specified. It seems that if the publisher didn't specify
> an offset, it would be better to treat this datetime as a floating
> time. From section 4.3.5 of RFC 2445:
>
> > FORM #1: DATE WITH LOCAL TIME
> >
> >    The date with local time form is simply a date-time value that does
> >    not contain the UTC designator nor does it reference a time
> > zone. For
> >    example, the following represents Janurary 18, 1998, at 11 PM:
> >
> >      DTSTART:19980118T230000
> >
> >    Date-time values of this type are said to be "floating" and are not
> >    bound to any time zone in particular.
>
> I can't seem to find any previous discussion on the wiki or maillist
> list that indicates that floating-time date-times are prohibited, so
> I wanted to check first, before going ahead with the test cases.
>
> thanks,
> ryan
> --
> Ryan King