[uf-dev] using mercurial/hg to share microformats code, tests

Dan Connolly connolly at w3.org
Wed Mar 22 15:45:30 PST 2006

In #microformats, I think I sold some folks on using hg to share code
and test materials.

http://rbach.priv.at/Microformats-IRC/2006-03-22#T224836

To join the fun, grab the hg code from
 http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/release/mercurial-0.8.tar.gz
 <- http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/release/
 <- http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/Download

and then unpack and follow the link from Download to windows or unix.

I use unix, and install in $HOME, so it went like:

connolly at homer ../mercurial-0.8[500] python setup.py install --home=~
running install
running build
running build_py
creating build
creating build/lib.linux-i686-2.3

And then:

connolly at homer ../connolly[509] mkdir mfcode
connolly at homer ../connolly[510] cd mfcode/
connolly at homer ../mfcode[511] hg init

and you're good to go. Then pull from your favorite peer.
To pull from me:

  % hg pull http://homer.w3.org:8123/

Usual cvs/svn commands like commit/update/log/diff work fine.
The novel bit is push and pull and serve. See Quickstart, Tutorial, etc.
in http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi

If you do:

  example.org% hg serve -p 8123

then it'll start an HTTP server, and I can do:

connolly at homer mfcode[] hg pull http://example.org:8123

You should probably use the logging
options to put the logs somewhere other than stdout). I think there's
a way to set it up as a CGI, but I don't have 1st hand experience with
that.

You can't push to my repository, but I can pull from yours
if you tell me where it's serving. Or you can use hg
export and mail them, and I can hg import them.

I think there may be a "central" repostory on microformats.org soonish
that Brian Suda and a few others can push to.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E