[uf-dev] geo syntax details

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 19:24:53 PST 2006

This should be corrected, originally X2V called another template for
each sub property (lat/lon, region/locality/country-name, etc.) In
that sub-property i was outputting the ';' semicolon. I removed that
from the sub-property and now after each call to the sub-property in
the property template i manually output the ';' semicolon. (not that
exciting) but since the ';' is explicitly outputted it is omitted from
the end of GEO.

I also think there was a push to move the GEO information into an ABBR
element. X2V handles this, http://austin.adactio.com/  is a good
example of encoding GEO in the ABBR title attribute.

<abbr title="123.45;-67.89">Here</abbr>

This breaks from the sub-properties of class="latitude"
class="longitude", but should work just the same.

There has not been a test suite setup yet for hCards, so i have been
testing against alot of wild data. I think i managed to not break
anything, but if i did let me know.

-brian

On 3/21/06, Dan Connolly <connolly at w3.org> wrote:
> I got curious about geo syntax tonight,
> inspired by http://austin.adactio.com/ .
>
> I think I found an X2V bug; if I run this
> thru it:
>
>   <li class="vevent">
>     testing event
>   </li>
>
> I get a trailing semicolon:
>
> GEO:20;24;
>
> My read of the spec is that's no good.
> http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/rfc2426#sec3.4.2
>
> version info:
>
> $ HEAD http://suda.co.uk/projects/X2V/xhtml2vcard.xsl
> Last-Modified: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:08:31 GMT
>
> I would have thought that a trailing delimiter
> is harmless, but I know I had to cut off a trailing ,
> in BYDAY thusly in order to get Apple's iCal to grok:
>
>   <em class="byday">
>     <!-- cut off final , -->
>     <xsl:value-of select="substring($byday, 1,
> string-length($byday)-1)" />
>   </em>
>
> I'd sure like to see more GEO examples in the specs;
> I couldn't figure out how it was supposed to work from
> the spec; I had to look at the X2V code.
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-parsing
>
> I suppose I should add this to
>  http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-tests
> if not
>  http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-issues
>
> --
> D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E

brian suda
http://suda.co.uk