[uf-dev] proposal: opening up microformats-dev subscriptions

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 16 10:11:44 PDT 2006

Greetings microformats-dev,

If you have been following the microformats-discuss list, you are aware that
there has been a thread regarding creating a new microformats list for the
purpose of beginners, which was the purpose of the microformats-discuss
list, and thus has turned into a proposal for creating a new list for
research and development of *new* microformats.

Part of that discussion raised the issue of improving the use of *this*
list.

So far we have required a *public* implementation, documented on the
"Implementations" wiki page for membership in order to help keep our
development discussions focused on real-world issues by real coders rather
than theoretical chicken-little type discussions raised by armchair-coders
(which I've seen happen on far too many other open dev lists).

However, the proposal is to now change that, to open up the microformats-dev
list to any subscriber and simply make it a *policy* to keep the discussion
focused on real-world developer issues rather than purely hypothetical
issues.

I think this can work for a couple of reasons:

1. microformats-dev has quite a few "real world" developers with
proven/published/public track records on it.  I think it is strong enough to
withstand some amount of "new developer influx" who may start asking a lot
of theoretical/hypothetical questions.

2. microformats as a community has matured sufficiently and adopted enough
of a "pragmatic first" culture that even "new developers" are more likely to
take a pragmatic/empirical approach to discussions rather than purely
philosophical/theoretical approach.

As a member of microformats-dev, what do you think of this proposal?

Please reply to list, and hopefully it will become quickly clear what the
community thinks one way or another.

Thanks,

Tantek